Disable Welcome Emails

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
tsimonrowe
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Disable Welcome Emails

Post by tsimonrowe » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:53 am

Hello

I am working for a client who wants to have registered users with access to restricted pages on a site, easy. I planned to add them with a set of csv files directly into the relevant tables in the dB but when I tested this it triggered an email noting registration to the user account. I don't want this to happen because access is also going to be linked to a subscription system and mails from the subscription plugin are the only mails that subscribers need to see, adding Joomla mails into the mix could end up confusing people.

The client wants to send activation emails as part of a package of information that the users are going to need. Because of the byzantine way this was set up in the past, there are going to be different mails to some members so those mails are going to be dealt with out of Joomla.

Therefore, I need to prevent Joomla's core user functions from sending activation emails of any kind and I just can't find where I can do this. I am considering giving each user a dummy address while I do the setting up and then updating their emails as one of the final tasks before the accounts go live. Is this a good idea? Will it prevent system welcome mails from Joomla?

Basically I guess I just want to prevent Joomla core from sending mails to registered users.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Disable Welcome Emails

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:26 pm

You can disable sending of mail entirely in Global Configuration.

Is the users registered in an other database table?

You can write a authentication plugin that authenticates against another table when the user logs in.
The Joomla user will be created at login.

https://docs.joomla.org/J3.x:Creating_a ... for_Joomla

tsimonrowe
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by tsimonrowe » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:06 pm

thank you for your reply. I just need to be sure that the subscription plugin will be able to send emails, so I think that disabling mail from the global configuration will disable mail for every module. is this the case, if it is, I"m afraid that this isn't the answer I need.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:48 pm

What subscription plugin are you using?

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”