Slow in IE (even IE10) - Ideas to speed it up?

Discussion regarding Joomla! 3.x Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
hannylicious
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Slow in IE (even IE10) - Ideas to speed it up?

Post by hannylicious » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:52 pm

I am running IE10 on a new machine with an i5 processor and about 3GB of RAM - so my machine handles most of what gets thrown at me without a hiccup when it comes to websites.

I love firefox and have NO problems with Joomla 3.0 in firefox or chrome - but unfortunately I am working with a client whose business is based around IE (of varying versions, I believe the oldest being 9); as with most small business, the owner is 'on a budget', and the PC's the employees work on are often very old (some as old as 5-6 years old), although most have anywhere from 1-2GB of RAM.

Joomla 3.0.x crawls on their IE. I was looking at it and noticed that if I turned off compatibility settings in IE it sped things up - but it was still vastly inferior to the speed I was seeing on firefox/chrome. It is an out of the box Joomla setup - no templates (just default) and the settings are about as basic and out of the box as they can be - so it's not any 3rd party template bogging things down.

On the front end, if I load a form that has additional Javascript loading with it - it tends to crawl a little further. Even on the administration side of things - on most of the machines if I go to the user manager and add a new user - it will take anywhere from 2 - 3 seconds (sometimes even slightly longer!) before what I type in the field shows up on the screen (with compatibility mode disabled).

I'm looking for any ideas on what else I can do to try and speed this up for them. It is an intranet site that hosts forms they need for various process throughout the day - so speed is essential because often they're on the phone with customers when filling these out.
Pushpin Designs
www.pushpindesigns.com

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 3.x”