Extremely slow page load etc J3.7 / PHP7.1

Discussion regarding Joomla! 3.x Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
ywncyber
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Extremely slow page load etc J3.7 / PHP7.1

Post by ywncyber » Sun May 14, 2017 2:41 pm

Hello all,

I recently migrated from Joomla 2.5 to Joomla 3.6 and then eventually 3.7

Also recently upgraded my PHP version from 5.3 to 7.1 all in the name of increasing performance for my testmysite.thinkwithgoogle scores

Unfortunately they are the worst they've ever been & despite all the image optimisation and use of JCH optimize pro I do, when I click any link at superluigibros.com (or just generally try to load it) it sends the request and takes a good while before it actually loads anything.

There seems to be some strain on the server too in terms of CPU Usage and entry processes in the cpanel - above normal for a site with as many visitors as I'm currently getting

Do you guys have any idea why? It's so slow its unbelievable. It's not the hosts though, I have another J3.7 / php7.1 site with the same host and it runs acceptably despite not being optimised yet. (that was a fresh install though, not a migration)

I do get this message in PHPMYADMIN
Your PHP MySQL library version 5.1.73 differs from your MySQL server version 5.6.35. This may cause unpredictable behavior.

Could that be part of the problem?

Any help appreciated. Thank you.

ywncyber
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Extremely slow page load etc J3.7 / PHP7.1

Post by ywncyber » Sun May 14, 2017 2:43 pm

WOW... noticed my disk space usage had gone up massively too.......
classicm_superluigibros 5778.78 MB <---------------- thats my SQL Database! I'm sure that was 200mb or something the other day. OK I fixed that. It was sh404sef recording data. Christ! But that wasn't the culprit its still equally slow with that off... has been for a while

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sun May 14, 2017 3:41 pm

Mod. Note: Relocated the topic to the Performance Forum.

ywncyber
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ywncyber » Wed May 17, 2017 9:25 am

Hello all, can anyone shed any light on this?

Even if I seemingly fully load a page, and then go to another tab to do something else... its almost like its refreshing itself repeatedly it doesn't show the favicon in the top tab just the little swirl that indicates something is trying to load.

Any help appreciated as I fear my google ranks may be slaughtered by this speed issue :-(

AlohaYoga
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by AlohaYoga » Wed May 24, 2017 7:07 pm

first thing I would check is to see if yuo have any outdated plugings (the ones that don't update automaticly) and test your website out with protostar.

then try this:

viewtopic.php?f=709&t=950861&p=3476164#p3476164

ywncyber
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ywncyber » Thu May 25, 2017 8:24 pm

Thanks for your reply. Outdated plugins have been well and truly removed. The theme is modern too. I have done everything I can think of to make this site as fast as possible

Now things are getting worse:-
--------------------------------------------------------
Your site has been limited within the past 24 hours

CPU resources were limited for your site

You have reached entry processes (number of simultaneously running php and cgi scripts, as well as cron jobs and shell sessions) limit 169 times
------------------------------------------------------------
CPU usage constantly spiking to 100pc. I have nowhere near the traffic to justify that. I really need help please.

AlohaYoga
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by AlohaYoga » Thu May 25, 2017 9:22 pm

Hard to say with so few details. its trial and error, really.

All you need is one pluging that does not work well to slow a site down. Once your site is loaded, what do you see in the chrome console? Any errors?

If you had trouble with the DB, maybe there was trouble in the migration?
Maybe your server is not secured?

Have you tried to extract the joomla files in another folder without running install on them and then dumping them and overwritting the files of your website?

Do you still have a backup of your site before it was migrated?

ywncyber
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ywncyber » Fri May 26, 2017 5:22 pm

I suspected it may have been sh404sef addon. But I disabled it cleared caches etc and tried. It didn't make a difference.

The specific problem is not with the TRUE load time, but it seems there is a real delay in sending/recieving the request. Once I have sent the request and had server response it does actually load quite well.

Chrome console doesn't seem to suggest any errors.

I haven't tried overwriting the files but I will do all else failing. I have got a backup of my joomla 2.5 site yeah but I have done ridiculous amount of work on the site since then.

Could it be anything to do with my HTACCESS file ?

AlohaYoga
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by AlohaYoga » Fri May 26, 2017 9:47 pm

Well... maybe the forum post assitant could help.

Get a default joomla htaccess and backup yours, then try your site with the defaul one.

You could also try a clean joomla site on your server. Just a basic install with protostar site. If everything works well or not, it actually removes some possibilities.

AlohaYoga
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by AlohaYoga » Fri May 26, 2017 11:48 pm

Something simple you could do is to put a simple php or html file in some random new folder you create. Then put the link in the url. If the page take the same amount of time then your joomla site, you know its the server. If it loads fast, you know its the joomla site.

ywncyber
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ywncyber » Sat May 27, 2017 8:31 am

Very logical stuff. I will do that. (Ref the HTACCESS)
Also I have a wordpress site for which the response time is great and the google scores too. (same server, same shared hosting)

Here is the latest in this saga... I woke up this morning with my sites down AGAIN becaues of no server space... couldn't work out why until now.... 13GB error_log folder on my joomla root. Something is horribly wrong :(

I have also tried turning on Joomlas debugging feature from SYSTEM and get a blank page and this message when I try to load the site:-
Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/classicm/public_html/libraries/cms/html/html.php on line 66

ywncyber
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ywncyber » Sat May 27, 2017 8:50 am

I tried changing the HTACCESS. Doesn't seem to have changed much/anything.
My webhosts have even gone as far as trying to blame a google adsense ad that sometimes shows a flash banner... I really don't think they're understanding the magnitude of this issue

ywncyber
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ywncyber » Sat May 27, 2017 8:55 am

HMM!!! I think I might have it!!

My image and content fader module running as the background of every page. I disabled it and now the page is comparatively loading like lightning!!

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat May 27, 2017 9:29 am

Good that you found the culprit.

Mod. Note: I will set the topic to solved.

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 3.x”