Expiration not specified messages

Discussion regarding Joomla! 3.x Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
schemer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Expiration not specified messages

Post by schemer » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:25 pm

Hi,
I just updated my Joomla sites to the latest version and did so because I was having some issues with slow loading the last couple of days. In the end I think my host is having a problem and during a tech support call they finally noticed what I was seeing and will likely be moving my sites to another server. But, my question is about running tests on https://gtmetrix.com while trying to figure out what the problem was and getting a "F" score on "expiration not specified" errors for .ccc, .js, .png, and .jpg files (and maybe something else I forgot). The sites used to be perfectly fast until a few days ago and that is why I upgraded the Joomla hoping that would fix it. So, how do I add expiration dates to all these things and why would it all of a sudden be an issue??
Thanks,
schemer
Thanks,
schemer :)

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Expiration not specified messages

Post by gws » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:23 pm

schemer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by schemer » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:17 pm

Thanks for that link. ;) That is exactly what I needed. I will try it this morning and if it doesn't fix my slow loading I will just start the rebuilding of the 3 sites that were hacked. If the sites worked perfectly with Joomla 3.6x, and only failed after I had the host scan and remove the 3 malwares, and then I updated them Joomla to 3.8x, what would have caused the expire date issue? Does 3.8 not set the expire dates on install? Or possibly the malware modified the htaccess file? Just trying to understand why the problem appeared.
Thanks,
schemer
Thanks,

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by gws » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:29 pm

Joomla by default does not set them,I don't think it ever has.IMO they are not causing the site to be slow,they are just one of the metrics tested.

schemer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by schemer » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:35 pm

gws wrote:Joomla by default does not set them,I don't think it ever has.IMO they are not causing the site to be slow,they are just one of the metrics tested.
Ok, thanks. I purchased some security plugin a couple of days ago but I think the damage is already done by the hackers. I had 3 malwares removed but I think I updated Joomla before I removed them thinking new files would overwrite the old ones. Anyhow, thanks for the info. I will be rebuilding my sites today one at a time starting with the simplest one in case I mess it up. This is/was my first time getting hacked and when I rebuild the site I will have the security software extension in place. Of course after calling the Host for the last 3 days and nothing able to be resolved, I am sure hoping after the rebuild they are *not* exactly the same and its a hosting issue. >:(
Thanks,

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by gws » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:43 pm

Have one of your sites scanned at myjoomla.com , the first is free and it will tell you if you still have Gremlins on your site. One of the better security add ons for joomla is Admin tools from Akeeba.

schemer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by schemer » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:59 pm

gws wrote:Have one of your sites scanned at myjoomla.com , the first is free and it will tell you if you still have Gremlins on your site. One of the better security add ons for joomla is Admin tools from Akeeba.
I bought a highly rated security software but it wasn't Admin Tools. I will have to give it a go as I subscribed for 2 years. After I installed it the seller was very prompt and offered to help me free of charge with my slow sites. He said it was more likely the host after he downloaded my site and ran it in his server and it worked fine. So by the end of today I will know one way or another what the problem is. I may have to try that Joomla.com place for a free test.
Thanks,
schemer

edit: Can I run more than one security extension or plugin on a site??
Thanks,

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by gws » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:08 pm

I would stick with the one you are happy with, your current supplier seems to be good if he downloaded your site to his local to check it. Good luck.

schemer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by schemer » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:59 pm

:p Well what do you know...All of my sites started working great today. I guess I just had to wait 3 days for the Host to fix the problems on their end that they said they weren't having. :D
Thanks,

schemer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by schemer » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:58 pm

:-\ Well at least they had it working for a couple of hours...Back to no connecting and slow.
Thanks,

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 3.x”