Ridiculously slow speeds on updated site

Discussion regarding Joomla! 3.x Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
jiggsygee
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Ridiculously slow speeds on updated site

Post by jiggsygee » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:29 pm

Hi all,

Our developer has recently updated our site at www.touchtight.com and we are now experiencing extremely slow speeds as a result. We have tested the site on www.pingdom.com, https://gtmetrix.com and others and the speeds are crazily slow. Developers have installed a recent component to improve the loading of images, yet this component seems to have increased loading time of each image!

This has been going on for two weeks now and we are at the point where we feel it may be necessary to rehire. This is a difficult decision as developer has been great up to this point, yet we cannot continue in this vain. If anybody could please provide some feedback on what the issues may be, or steps we could take (CDN mentioned), we would be very grateful.

Many thanks..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

effrit
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Ridiculously slow speeds on updated site

Post by effrit » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:41 pm

hi. check database size. in 3.8.5 purging _session table was changed and on many sites this table become huge and slow.

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:51 pm

One of the bottle necks I know is you are using Gantry as the template framework and its very very slow.

I bought a template JSirena but have to not to use it bcs its extremly slow bcs I waited for devs to fix it for 1 year before ditch it completely.

I can recommend better template frameworks that only focus on Joomla dev like Joomshapers Helix Ultra and their SP Pagebuilder.. you will always have performance problem with Gantry thats my experience

https://www.joomshaper.com/helix

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by gws » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:06 pm

If you check it again in gmetrix, look at "remove query strings from static resources" expand it by clicking on the red down arrow and you will see that a component called imgem is really causing problems with the site. There are other problems that need addressing as well.
I have used gantry for years and never had speed problems,I may be lucky.

jiggsygee
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jiggsygee » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:06 pm

Thanks guys,

Darb and Effrit I have sent your feedback to developer to look at tomorrow, which I'm sure can be addressed. Issue is before we changed the platform about 2 or 3 weeks ago, the site was loading in about 4.5 seconds, now since this change.. this issue arises. All sub pages seem to be fine, loading image heavy pages between 3 and 6 seconds, so it has to be something that is just with homepage loading that is different to the rest of the content.

Thanks gws. This imgem component was installed by developer this week and it has caused the site to get much worse than the problems we were experiencing previously. I'm not sure what else I should do, not being a programming expert, but do you see these as problems that can easily be rectified?

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by gws » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:22 am

As the imgem component seems to be the cause of the problem,I would disable it and see what improvement that brings.

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 3.x”