Serious Speed Issues

Discussion regarding Joomla! 3.x Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
leonj
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Serious Speed Issues

Post by leonj » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:27 pm

Hi all,

We seem to have significant speed issues on our site www.touchtight.com. If anybody could shed light as to why this is the case that would be a huge help. Developer has created an aesthetically good site, with popular content, yet with new filters and drop menu added to support user, this seems to have slowed the site down or something else is doing this. I have attached some screenshots from Pingdom and gmatrix.

The homepage has Vimeo content that is loaded into the site but is not hosted so does not take a lot of storage, yet the immediate load time for Joomla (dont know if this is from host or otherwise) is 7+ seconds which is ridiculous and losing us users daily. We have over 200 requests with Java and XHR coming up on Pingdom as issues.

If anybody could suggest how we can rectify this problem, as developer has added what we want but sacrificing one of the most important elements for any online business - speed!

Thanks, Leon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CyrusXxX
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Serious Speed Issues

Post by CyrusXxX » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:58 am

Hello leonj, well indeed nice looking website.
Concerning your question related why your website is slow those test tools told you basically everything you need to know.
But let me explain a little bit and I will use Google Page speed for reference.
1. In my test with gps your server responded in 4.52 seconds so it means that your hosting is slow or it is not optimized properly.
2. In your head when page loads you have unussed css classes which are not nessasery for page loading
3. You have render blocking js and css files coming from jch optimize plugin and that means its setup is not done right
4. On your homepage you have 7 google fonts loading try to reduce them if possible
5. You have large number of DOM elements, try to keep them as low as possible
6. You have auto play of video files on your website and that is a no no when speed is in question
7. Why do you have 4 google ReCaptcha scripts loading on one page? (Also they are conflicting with each other js errors see error console)
8. You have quite a lot of javascripts loading on your page and they are not minified properly
9. As looking at source console I see that you are not using Joomla native cache option

So basically when you combine all of these factors your website is bound to be slow. If you decide to take matters in your hands, go to for example google page speed and run the test after it is finished you will get your results and with them advises on how to fix them. Take your time and do it one thing at the time. As this can be slow process with lot of testing and possible mistakes.

Hope this helps.
Knowledge is power and power is knowledge.

https://regenesiscomputers.com

SharkyKZ
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by SharkyKZ » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:45 am

First, please disable JCH Optimize so your site can be inspected properly.

leonj
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by leonj » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:23 pm

Cyruz XxX that is great feedback thank you very much for this. I will forward to our developer who will be working on these elements as quickly as possible.

SharkyKZ I will get him to disable JCH Optimize also so you can take a closer look.

Thanks again guys, massive help.

CyrusXxX
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by CyrusXxX » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:02 pm

leonj wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:23 pm
Cyruz XxX that is great feedback thank you very much for this. I will forward to our developer who will be working on these elements as quickly as possible.

Thanks again guys, massive help.
You are welcome leonj. Take your time and make it right ;)
Knowledge is power and power is knowledge.

https://regenesiscomputers.com

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by DaveOzric » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:53 am

114 requests. A good web host is important and could be a real improvement. I would look there first.

darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by darb » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:46 pm

First impression is that the page load 7 mb Gmatrix so thats too much and with to many requests. Try some speed improvment plugins for javascript css etc and see if that also can help you example
https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... -extended/
https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/scss-compiler/
https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... and-defer/
Success in the long run Its not about the code its about the people and community that's make it!
Its not what you say its what you do that matters!

Darb - aka ssnobben

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:10 pm

Use php 7.2 that are faster than 5.6. Php 5.6 is going EOL in few days anyway.

Dolios
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Dolios » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:04 am

Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:10 pm
Use php 7.2 that are faster than 5.6. Php 5.6 is going EOL in few days anyway.
Or 7.3, the newest PHP :p . Also try nginx and what ever you do. Do not use digitaloceans droplets. My time to first byte is around 700ms there.

darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by darb » Wed May 01, 2019 5:17 am

I tested to use php 7.3 on one site and it seems to work with som php tweaks but I can not get this info confirmed by Joomla backend Control System-->System information https://www.site.com/administrator/inde ... ew=sysinfo

When clicking on this link I get a blank respond.
Success in the long run Its not about the code its about the people and community that's make it!
Its not what you say its what you do that matters!

Darb - aka ssnobben

Dolios
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Dolios » Wed May 01, 2019 9:06 am

Could you post php log file?

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 3.x”