Speeding Up My Website

Discussion regarding Joomla! 3.x Performance issues.
eengnerd
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Speeding Up My Website

Post by eengnerd » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:35 am

I have a shared hosting account at hostgator. I'm using Google Search Console and related tools to measure my website speed and I'm bothered that my website, which has no photos is showing an FCP and LCP of 4.4 seconds! How do I speed things up? I already turned on system caching and turned on GZip.
Last edited by toivo on Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: moved from 3.x General Questions

annahersh
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Speeding Up My Website

Post by annahersh » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:21 am

Is your template or third-party extensions loading many external files? Are your images properly compressed? There are many factors which could be slowing performance and simply running gzip will not help.

You can opt to use a script compressor such as JCH Optimize or similar, or load files from a CDN.

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:39 am

OP said it has "no photos"....but images that are *not* photos, I wonder?

Please avoid acronyms for those like me who have no clue what "FCP" and "LCP" are.

TTFB I know :)

OK so: First Contentful Paint (FCP) and Largest Contentful Paint (LCP).....along with Time to First Byte (TTFB) obviously all to do with page loading times.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Help you I can, yes!. Post your question, you should. Keep it on topic you must!
Use the Forc....Forum Post Assistant my young Padawan!

eengnerd
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by eengnerd » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:02 pm

The only images that might be used are the ones that the menu system might be using for the button backgrounds on the menu. My website is MobilePCClinic.Net and basically everything is text based. I'm using the default ProtoStar template and my version of Joomla is the latest stable version. I'm also using Google Structured Data, JCH Optimize, and HikaShop (free version). I'm hosting on HostGator on a Linux box (Hatchling account - shared hosting). I'm not interested in using CDN, because it seems to me that there are more important issues yet to fix.
After installing JCH Optimize, no changes occurred, so I probably don't know how to take advantage of that plugin. I only added one very small "user.css" file that enlarges the text on the buttons on my horizontal menu.
I've read about "minifying" css and other files but don't know how to do that specifically. In the "global settings" I have turned on Conservative Caching, and Gzip compression for files that are served to the browser by the server, etc. as I read about online for ways to speed up Joomla.
I'm certain that there are more ways to easily speed up my website...but I just don't know how to accomplish them as yet.

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:21 pm

I'm mystified that using Protostar with essentially no images gives you the results you have seen. Perhaps bad hosting....bad internet connection .....just throwing things out there.

The site doesn't load that badly (not as you describe) for me; GTMetrix gives '97%. Take that score with a grain of salt but heed the advice given about the improvements they suggest - run over all the suggestions with a fine tooth comb.

Google page insights scoring is inconsistent. First test 67, second test 71, third test 73.....! At least its efficiency is *increasing* !?

Both have suggestions for removing unused javascript or style sheets.

It appears you're running Hika Shop or other things - those sorts of extensions are going to load their own style sheets and javascript and other stuff (like product images, minimal though they are).
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Help you I can, yes!. Post your question, you should. Keep it on topic you must!
Use the Forc....Forum Post Assistant my young Padawan!

annahersh
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by annahersh » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:53 pm

eengnerd wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:02 pm
The only images that might be used are the ones that the menu system might be using for the button backgrounds on the menu.
The images used for you shop average 4.5MB. Each takes appx 8 seconds to open on high bandwidth cable connection, and 23+ seconds on WAN (mobile phone). Otherwise all pages of the site loads quickly

Speed test results of home page
Mobile
speed-test-1.jpg
Cable connection
speed-test-2.jpg
Shop image
large-images.jpg
Test at https://developers.google.com/speed/pag ... tab=mobile
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

eengnerd
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by eengnerd » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:48 pm

annahersh wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:53 pm
eengnerd wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:02 pm
The only images that might be used are the ones that the menu system might be using for the button backgrounds on the menu.
The images used for you shop average 4.5MB. Each takes appx 8 seconds to open on high bandwidth cable connection, and 23+ seconds on WAN (mobile phone). Otherwise all pages of the site loads quickly

Speed test results of home page
Mobile
speed-test-1.jpg

Cable connection
speed-test-2.jpg

Shop image
large-images.jpg

Test at https://developers.google.com/speed/pag ... tab=mobile
Does this mean that the "rating" for my website with Google is based on an average speed which includes ALL of the pages on my website? I was under the impression that the rating was based on the Home page only! If it is an "average" then optimizing the pics would of course be the answer!

Another topic: I noticed some references to ".woff2" font files! Would it help to copy those files to the server that is "serving up" my website thereby reducing to total time for serving it up?

Sincerely,
Arthur Baldwin

annahersh
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by annahersh » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:05 am

eengnerd wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:48 pm
Does this mean that the "rating" for my website with Google is based on an average speed which includes ALL of the pages on my website?
Google no longer does the rating system. There are many other factors that determine search results positioning, and server delivery speed is a small part, simply because there are too many reasons which could cause slow performance. Content relativity, consistency and flow are more important.

eengnerd wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:48 pm
I noticed some references to ".woff2" font files! Would it help to copy those files to the server that is "serving up" my website thereby reducing to total time for serving it up?
Assuming your font is being served by a CDN, as long as it is a reputable service such as Google fonts, it's best to leave as is. CDN providers are subject to downtime also and it is possible your website will be affected if the files are slow or not accessible. It happens, but they tend to be quick to fix.

Being that your experience of a slow website could very well be your ISP issues, always test your site with a remote speed test service. If they say it's all good, worry not.

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 3.x”