Large and slow database, what to do?

Discussion regarding Joomla! 3.x Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
rikaryo
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Large and slow database, what to do?

Post by rikaryo » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:49 pm

Friends I have three news portals and I have suffered from the optimization of the databases the _content (mysqli) tables are immense and consuming many resources, I have migrated part of the content to Archive, but even so they are still heavy.

Has anyone here experienced this and found an alternative to change it?

Will I have to delete posts in the future? I do not like to delete content due to the history that is preserved and has been widely viewed and searched in the main search engines.

What do I do?

GerogescuM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Large and slow database, what to do?

Post by GerogescuM » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:22 pm

Try reading this: https://mensis.ro/how-to-optimize-your-joomla-database/
You should also try a litespeed server and check if you have latest version PHP installed.

rikaryo
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by rikaryo » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:20 pm

GerogescuM wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:22 pm
Try reading this: https://mensis.ro/how-to-optimize-your-joomla-database/
You should also try a litespeed server and check if you have latest version PHP installed.
GerogescuM thanks for posting, but understand that this database optimization is basic, I'm talking about what to do with large joomla databases! I have seen another platform work well with large amounts of data in a bank and Joomla! there is sin at this point, I see how I change from Mysql to Postgrees, it is a huge workforce for those who are starting in postgrees.

I thought about posting to see if anyone had already managed to optimize their databases when they get huge like the ones I have.

hug

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:45 pm

It's difficult to advise what to do about poor database performance with a database that's grown exceedingly large over time but, perhaps, the simplest explanation is the best: some webhosting providers offer better, more "powerful" solutions than the one you're currently using. Sometimes there's a limit to what you can do, no matter how much time you spend trying to "optimise" performance.

It's a bit like trying to make a 25cc motor cycle go as fast as it did before you placed a 500Kg payload on it. There's only so much you can do given the size of the engine.

You're right that MySQL has its limitations (but so too do other database engines) and changing to PostgreSQL may not be any better either. It's a bit like jumping into the swimming pool without checking the depth first.

I think the real question people need to ask themselves is whether it's worth the cost of retaining content that may have been an interesting read, say, ten years ago or whether that information has lost its value today and it's time for a clean-up? I ask myself that question every day; I haven't found the answer yet. :laugh: :D

Slackervaara
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Slackervaara » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:45 pm

It is possible to partition MySQL databases to make them faster. I have not tested it myself, but only read about it.

rikaryo
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by rikaryo » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:56 pm

sozzled, thanks for your attention, I always ask myself this question, but I try to keep articles that have a constant participation in the statistics via surveys, whether they are on the site itself or on search engines like google and bing, there is also the historical record of pertinent subjects that active for a long time are always value their content, so I have been concerned with the snowball that some of my portals in Joomla! has become.

I use another platform in a portal and I haven't noticed so much wear and tear with the database, so I started a search to try to optimize my Joomla!

Thanks!
sozzled wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:45 pm
It's difficult to advise what to do about poor database performance with a database that's grown exceedingly large over time but, perhaps, the simplest explanation is the best: some webhosting providers offer better, more "powerful" solutions than the one you're currently using. Sometimes there's a limit to what you can do, no matter how much time you spend trying to "optimise" performance.

It's a bit like trying to make a 25cc motor cycle go as fast as it did before you placed a 500Kg payload on it. There's only so much you can do given the size of the engine.

You're right that MySQL has its limitations (but so too do other database engines) and changing to PostgreSQL may not be any better either. It's a bit like jumping into the swimming pool without checking the depth first.

I think the real question people need to ask themselves is whether it's worth the cost of retaining content that may have been an interesting read, say, ten years ago or whether that information has lost its value today and it's time for a clean-up? I ask myself that question every day; I haven't found the answer yet. :laugh: :D

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 3.x”