Search (not smart seach) slow after adding 5 joomla custom fields Topic is solved

Discussion regarding Joomla! 3.x Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
sosojni
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Search (not smart seach) slow after adding 5 joomla custom fields

Post by sosojni » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:15 am

So, i have Joomla site that is used for intranet communication for more than 4 years with few thousands of articles. Everything was working fine untill we enabled 5 custom fields (via Joomla administration). Now, when we search our content on frontend (normal search, not smart search), search queries take 20-30 secs. Rest of site is working fine (inserting new articles, reading frontend etc.)
Before custom fields, search was nice and fast.

I did some mysql slow query debugging and i can see problem with query that is joining custom fields to articles. Mysql tuner says that i have TON of joins without of indexes.

As i said, it's intranet site that has no access to outside world so it was not updated for some time (it's 3.x version but i don't know which exactly...will find out tomorrow).

Was this something that was fixed in recent updates, or am i experiencing something out of the ordinary or do i have to manually change database somehow (add indexes?)

helpwithjoomla
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Search (not smart seach) slow after adding 5 joomla custom fields

Post by helpwithjoomla » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:38 pm

First suggestion is to update to the latest version of Joomla and see if that makes any difference.
Joomla Developers Available To Help With Joomla!
https://www.helpwithjoomla.com

sosojni
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Search (not smart seach) slow after adding 5 joomla custom fields

Post by sosojni » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:51 pm

I'm afraid, because of reasons out of my control i can not update it for month or two, and than i will wait for next joomla release and upgrade whole site to it.

At the end, i switched to smart search and everything is back to speed. DB is big, but i can deal with that.

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 3.x”