Intermittent white screens caused by PHP-FPM being turned on?

Discussion regarding Joomla! 3.x Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
maestroc
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Intermittent white screens caused by PHP-FPM being turned on?

Post by maestroc » Sat May 07, 2022 1:50 am

I am just asking this to see if anyone knows what might be the cause of this. A site I work on recently started going up and down with completely blank white screens on all pages. Wait a few seconds, reload, and it would then come up fine. My uptime monitor said this was happening all day long. Turning on error reporting, etc. showed nothing. The page was still blank even with reporting on.

The problem was not due to an htaccess issue (I swapped it out with the default version). On a whim I went into WHM and turned off the PHP-FPM switch for that one account. Suddenly the problem stopped. The site now loads normally every single time.

Any ideas what could cause such a thing? It isn't a huge problem to have FPM off on that account but I am wondering what might be the root cause? Other accounts on that same server do not have this problem even though they are essentially copies of each other.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Intermittent white screens caused by PHP-FPM being turned on?

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat May 07, 2022 6:19 am

Examine the server logs. This is a server set-up problem and not a Joomla issue.

What user have you configured PHP-FPM to run as and is that user the owner of the site files?

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sat May 07, 2022 8:26 am

https://forumpostassistant.github.io/docs/ please. With and without PHP-FPM
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

Slackervaara
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Slackervaara » Sun May 22, 2022 4:01 pm

I remember that earlier I often got white screen. It was an PHP error and caused by timeout because the process stopped after 30 seconds and gave white screen. If you have cpanel you might be able to increase the timeout to a longer time.

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Sun May 22, 2022 10:09 pm

perhaps you need to also set "display_errors" to "On", it is sort of the companion setting to "error_reporting".

I think without display errors on, you get PHP errors only logged to the file and not displayed on screen.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 3.x”