3.7.0 update and lost menu items

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x? Please consider the availability of third-party templates and extensions when deciding which Joomla version to use.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
shorteruser
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

3.7.0 update and lost menu items

Postby shorteruser » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:28 pm

I ran the 3.7 update on several of our sites in the past couple of days without problem, but my main site lost all menu items for a menu named, oddly, menu. Other menus are fine. But the items in that menu are lost and the Admin for Menus shows 0 items.

Oddly, they do show up in the backend when I select the Components drop down menu, interspersed with legitimate Components (see screen shot).

Is this something to do with the menu being titled menu? Is it something I can fix in the sql database? Even if I can re-create the menu with a different name, how can I get rid of the entries in the backend Components menu?

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 1.19.26 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shorteruser
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: 3.7.0 update and lost menu items

Postby shorteruser » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:07 pm

I figured this out finally. In the database table j25_menu I had to change the field menutype from main to menu and the client_id from 1 to 0. After that they repopulated properly on the page and the top level entries removed themselves from the Components menu on the back end.

pvh123
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Postby pvh123 » Fri May 12, 2017 6:19 pm

If I open up xxxmenu in phpmyadmin, I see a lot of records.
Where do I make the change?

My "Menu_Item_root" record with user-id 1 does not contain a menutype.
Should I change that????
Note: Sending me private messages for personal support, without this been requested, would lead to ignoring any of your posts in future!

njwjf
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby njwjf » Fri May 19, 2017 3:27 pm

@shorteruser are you using Swmenufree for your menus?
I have exactly the same problem but at the moment I have only done the update on the test server.

My menu items have had their menutype changed from menu to main by the upgrade and are therefore not showing up.

BUT, I see (on my live site) that there was one entry in the database prior to the upgrade that did have a menutype of main and it is the Swmenufree component , so I am wondering if there is some inconsistency there and the upgrade looks at the menutype of the Swmenufree component and uses that during the upgrade.
Anyway that doesn't affect the solution (and thanks for posting it), but I'm just adding this in here in case it helps someone else in their search for a solution

njwjf
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby njwjf » Fri May 19, 2017 3:31 pm

pvh123 wrote:If I open up xxxmenu in phpmyadmin, I see a lot of records.
Where do I make the change?

You need to find the records that are you original menu items. You need to look in the title field to find the titles that match your original menu items

So for example you may have a record with a title of "Home" for the Home page menu item. So you would need to edit that record.

You would need to find and edit the records for all your original menu items

pvh123
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Postby pvh123 » Fri May 19, 2017 9:30 pm

Thanks problem solved by using sql in an earlier post.
Note: Sending me private messages for personal support, without this been requested, would lead to ignoring any of your posts in future!

njwjf
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby njwjf » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:28 pm

fixed in version 3.7.3

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”