unable to find installation package xml error after update to joomla 3.8.1

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x? Please consider the availability of third-party templates and extensions when deciding which Joomla version to use.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: unable to find installation package xml error after update to joomla 3.8.1

Postby Webdongle » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:10 pm

I have tried to replicate your error on localhost. I have tried various php versions ... php7.0.9 fails to find the mysqli driver so there is no database for Joomla install to connect to. So I was not able to test with the php version that you updated with.

Nobody else has reported the same issue it is unique to you. If you want to PM me ftp and Joomla Super User login then I can take a quick look ?

What extensions have you tried installing ?

Illumina
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Postby Illumina » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:14 pm

Hi i have the same problem 'unable to find installation package xml error'

check the extension of package file '.zip' if the extension includes an uppercase character, the installation fails.

sheerkoshan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby sheerkoshan » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:28 am

Hi there
I have the same problem even with fresh install of 3.8.1 . I checked out all ideas friends said here but no one worked and still the problem remains .

toivo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Postby toivo » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:37 am

Illumina wrote:check the extension of package file '.zip' if the extension includes an uppercase character, the installation fails.
Just confirming that the file extension .zip has to be set in lower case. The actual file name of the package is case insensitive, though.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator
my first programs were assembled and run in 16KB :)
http://archive.computerhistory.org/resources/text/GE/GE.GE-115SystemSoftware.1967.102646096.pdf#zoom=100

sheerkoshan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby sheerkoshan » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:48 pm

Hi again .
I tested a new fresh install on another host and no problem was there . So I think the problem refers to some host settings . But which settings do you guess ?

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Postby Webdongle » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:06 pm

Max. Input Time: 60 | Max. Execution Time: 60
set both to 600

Are the Owner and User Groups the same ? I have seen ownership issues when they have different but the fpa has reported no ownership issues.
Whatever is causing "[20-Oct-2017 22:06:35 Asia/Tehran] PHP Warning: filegroup() has been disabled for security reasons" might be causing your problem. Again I suspect firewall.

As a workaround until you find the error on the server ... Upload the zip to /tmp and install from folder.

btw you have some folders 757 ... they should be 755. If swmenu doesn't work with 755 then you do have an Ownership issue on your server.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”