Unable to Update

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x? Please consider the availability of third-party templates and extensions when deciding which Joomla version to use.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
JimmieC
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Unable to Update

Post by JimmieC » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:54 pm

I have been trying unsuccessfully to update from 3.75 to 3.85. My question is, can I just upload the upgrade zip package to my root folder and extract it, or extract to my local computer and then ftp to my root folder. Using the Update from within Joomla I get the AjaxError: Forbidden and I need to move on. Do you know of any problems if I update manually.

Thanks,
Jim

JimmieC
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Unable to Update

Post by JimmieC » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:41 pm

Anybody? Has anybody manually updated to version 3.8.5 and did you have any problems?

Jim

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:04 pm

I've read that some people have AJAX-related issues when updating Joomla. Most of these are fairly easy to resolve; they are often caused by problems with the hosting platform. There are lots of discussion topics on this subject (if you search for "AJAX" and "update".

If you really cannot find the solution to your problem then I suggest you use the Forum Post Assistant tool: details are located at the top of this page in the pink-coloured section.

Probably a PHP setting that needs to be modified.

When you ask if there are any known issues relating to updating "manually", what do you mean by the term "manually"? The only approved mechanism to update Joomla is to use the Joomla! Update component; any other mechanism usually results in additional problems.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

JimmieC
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JimmieC » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:45 pm

Well this has been interesting. What I meant by manual update was ftp update package to root folder and extracting. I tried that but it didn't work. I read all the posts and made all the changes to my php.ini file and still could not update. I would get the Ajax Forbidden Error.
What I did to fix this error was attempt to access my restore.php file: http://www
mysite.com/admininistrator/components/com_joomlaupdate/restore.php. When I entered that url I got a giant block screen from Sucuri firewall telling me my ip address was blocked. So I contacted my ISP and asked them to please whitelist my ip, which they did and then I could update, using Joomla's update feature without any problems.

Core Joomla uses the restore.php file in the update process.

So, if anyone has an AJAX Forbidden error try entering the url to your restore.php file and see if you're blocked. If so, then you will not be able to update your site until your computer can access that file.
Jim

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

[Solved] Unable to update Joomla: AJAX forbidden error caused by blacklisted IP address

Post by sozzled » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:04 pm

Thanks for finally getting back to us with a response. I still don't understand why, even by uploading the update package to the server (although there should be no need to extract its contents) the AJAX forbidden error didn't disappear. But, even though this was a problem caused (and resolved) by your ISP, it's good to know what caused it and how you resolved it. 8)
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

JimmieC
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JimmieC » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:48 pm

Sorry for the delay but it was just Saturday night (late) that I was able to update. When I attempted to update my site by ftp the update package to my root folder, I didn't get the Ajax error, but another error and I couldn't login to my site. I had to restore my site from a backup. I've been working on this for some time and I'm very thankful to have found the problem. Because I was able to access my site, and the administrative module, I didn't consider the possibility of my ip being blacklisted. I could access my ISP Cpanel and make changes to my Root folder and sub-folders. But when accessing my root folder and files through a url that's when my ip was blocked.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”