3.5.1 to 3.8.7 - advice?

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x? Please consider the availability of third-party templates and extensions when deciding which Joomla version to use.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
mike gaskey
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

3.5.1 to 3.8.7 - advice?

Postby mike gaskey » Thu May 10, 2018 4:01 pm

I have used JustHost as my ISP for years. Previously they would make a current version of joomla available and my control panel would alert me to a new version being available. At some point, they ceased doing that and when I would check my control panel would tell me that I was current. After one online chat and one phone call, they told me they no longer do that and it is up to me to handle it on my own.

I am moderately technical but this scares the living daylights out of me and I am not certain the steps I should follow. Any advice would be appreciated.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: 3.5.1 to 3.8.7 - advice?

Postby Per Yngve Berg » Thu May 10, 2018 6:40 pm

Components->Joomla Update should give you the updates.

The update may fail due to restrictions on the server.

Please do https://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=714&t=793531 so can check the server settings.

Have you installed Akeeba Backup and taken a backup of your site?

mike gaskey
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby mike gaskey » Tue May 15, 2018 1:20 pm

I apologize for the delay in replying, I had to go out of town for a couple of days nd just returned. Re: Akeeba - yes. I had just upgraded to the current Akeeba release and backed up my site. Interestingly enough, a couple of days after calling JustHost and talking to their technical support and bending his ar about the situation I was sent an email from JustHost that 3.6.5 was now available. So, now that I am back I'll take it from 3.5.1 to 3.6.5, then see if I can pressure them to make yet a more current version available.

AMurray
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby AMurray » Sat May 19, 2018 11:15 pm

It's not the hosting firm that is ultimately responsible for offering Joomla updates, you as the site admin are responsible for this (whether a business site or hobby site, the work involved is the same). Even if your host offers software through Softaclous or similar, it's better to get Joomla directly from Joomla.org.

In any case your site should be alerting you to the fact there are joomla updates available. You should see in the main control panel of Joomla this section (bottom left side), and it will tell you if Joomla is up to date, or has an update available.

maintenance_j-update.PNG

If you're not seeing this, I would suspect you have the update plugin disabled. Go to plugin manager and enable, Quickicon - Joomla Update Notification.
j_update_note-quick-icon.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

sozzled
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby sozzled » Sat May 19, 2018 11:25 pm

@AMurray: see also viewtopic.php?f=715&t=962145&p=3525152#p3525171 (which is slightly related to this matter). I suspect that the website in question has already been updated to J! 3.8.7.

You're probably right, however, in guessing that the Quick Icon - Joomla! Update Notification plugin has been disabled but, from my reading of the FPA (in the related topic), I suspect that the _assets table or the _extensions table has been corrupted. The site probably requires a site audit/makeover.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”