Upgrading multiple Joomla on same domain issue

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Davio
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Upgrading multiple Joomla on same domain issue

Post by Davio » Sun May 19, 2019 5:46 pm

I have 2 joomla installations on a domain. One at domainA.com and another at dev.domainA.com.
I use the dev to test installations and upgrades before I upgrade on the main site at domainA.com.

So I upgraded from 3.8 to 3.9.6 on my dev site.
All went well.

Logged into my domainA.com joomla install and it showed 3.8 in the version but also said it was up-to-date. ???
After looking through the global config settings, it has all my dev.domainA.com configurations instead of my domainA.com settings.

I am trying to get domainA.com joomla to re-read the configuration from the database, but not sure how to do so.

Any advise?

PS. I upgraded PHP from 5.6 to 7.1 just before doing this update as well. In case that played a factor.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Upgrading multiple Joomla on same domain issue

Post by toivo » Sun May 19, 2019 5:57 pm

The database details and database user credentials are in the file configuration.php in the Joomla folder.

Are the two Joomla folders separate? Does the main folder have its own physical configuration.php file, and not a symbolic link to the dev folder?
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator
troubleshooting smtp and other articles http://talikka.com/joomla

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sun May 19, 2019 6:00 pm

Do the dev site have a separate database?

AMurray
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by AMurray » Sun May 26, 2019 4:46 am

As well as all the above, perhaps you could check that "siteA.com" has a different set of databse tables from "siteB.com"; if you have limited DB's and are running from the same one, you need to separate the sites with different set of table prefixes; this would have been specified when you installed joomla, in the same screen where you specify database, database name and server name.

If you had production siteA and then made a copy (say with Akeeba Backup/Kickstart) and restored a copy of siteA to be come SiteB, then I think the sites would be running from the same database tables unless in Kickstart, you changed the table prefix to be something different (other than what it would default to - being siteA's detail), you can at that point of the restoration specify a new db prefix, and Kickstart will then restore the database with that detail - indeed, you could have even specified new database details completely.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”