How To Use Joomla To Write a User Manual?

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
agent_kith
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

How To Use Joomla To Write a User Manual?

Post by agent_kith » Thu May 23, 2019 11:23 am

Hi guys. I'm trying to see to setup Joomla on my website so that it can:
  1. A landing page
  2. A blog
  3. A user guide/manual
I've downloaded the helix3 framework, and updated Joomla to v3.9.6. The webserver is nginx with php 7.2.

Thanks to this framework, 1 and 2 are sorted. Using Joomla modern routing, in theory I should be able to most of my old content from b2evolution across to Joomla.

However, I'm stuck at trying to get 3 to work. I want to present the user guide either in wiki, or something like [ redacted ].

However, I struggle to find out how. Searching how to use "Joomla to display documentation" and so on came up with actual documentation for joomla. I am positive this question has been asked to death. They are probably in the forums, in the FAQ, and everywhere. I just can't seem to find it.

The closest thing I can find is phoca documentation. However, couldn't get that to work as it is not displaying the articles (suspect it's because I'm using modern routing). This module is only tested up to 3.0.2.

Can somebody point me in the right direction on how to get this to work? Thanks in advance.

As I'm still in the progress of testing my migration, I'm focusing only on free components/modules/plugins/templates. Once all my content and URLs are migrated, hopefully updating to paid versions will just make everything prettier.
Last edited by imanickam on Mon May 27, 2019 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Toivo: 'URL removed, please observe the warning about including links to non-Joomla sites!' Moved topic from the forum Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x to the forum General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: How To Use Joomla To Write a User Manual?

Post by toivo » Thu May 23, 2019 11:52 am

agent_kith wrote:couldn't get that to work as it is not displaying the articles (suspect it's because I'm using modern routing).
Modern routing works all right with this extension. When you created the menu item, did you select 'List of Articles in Category' or 'List of Categories'?

agent_kith wrote:This module is only tested up to 3.0.2
That is the version of Phoca Documentation, not Joomla. Phoca Documentation v3.0.3 was released in early May and it works all right it in Joomla 3.9.6.

You could present your user manual as a combination of menus in the sidebar and the actual articles in the content area or articles inside module position.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator
troubleshooting smtp and other articles http://talikka.com/joomla

agent_kith
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by agent_kith » Fri May 24, 2019 1:05 am

Thanks.
toivo wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:52 am
That is the version of Phoca Documentation, not Joomla. Phoca Documentation v3.0.3 was released in early May and it works all right it in Joomla 3.9.6.
Got myself confused there, my bad. So it must be a configuration issue on my side then.
toivo wrote:
When you created the menu item, did you select 'List of Articles in Category' or 'List of Categories'?
I've tried both. Right now the menu item is set as "Phoca Documentation » List of Articles in Category » List of Articles in Category". That category above points to "manual". And within it there is a subcategory "introduction".

In this sub-cat there is an article called "Overview". At the top of the article, I inserted this code:

Code: Select all

{phocadocumentation view=navigation|type=mpcn|top=some-id}
I'm literally using some-id as I'm not sure where/what that should be. I'm hoping/thinking the URL for this article will be /manual/overview.

So right now this is the state of things. (0/1) looks like a problem, and clicking on that doesn't do anything.

Not sure if I installed the module correctly. I just downloaded the ZIP file and uploaded it. This is supposed to have a component, module and plugin. But I can't find any reference of this in the modules and plugin sections.

Under component I do see "Phoca Documentation".
toivo wrote:
You could present your user manual as a combination of menus in the sidebar and the actual articles in the content area or articles inside module position.
That's the ideal setup. Will tackle that once I get the articles to display, with the same URL structure to my old system.

agent_kith
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by agent_kith » Sun May 26, 2019 12:56 am

While I still don't know why articles in the subcategories don't show up, listed as (0/2). At least I can confirm this plugin don't work if the articles are using modern routing with ID removed (under integrations config).

Will take it up with the author to see if he can help me out.

Anybody can recommend another module/plugin/extension that allows me to present a set of articles like a reference manual/directory?

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sun May 26, 2019 9:13 am

https://www.phoca.cz/phocadocumentation
https://www.phoca.cz/phoca-documentatio ... ory-module
https://www.phoca.cz/phocadocumentation-navigation

First link is the component, second a module and 3. is a plugin.

Have have used many Phoca extensions, but never Documentation.

agent_kith
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by agent_kith » Mon May 27, 2019 6:49 am

Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 9:13 am
https://www.phoca.cz/phocadocumentation
https://www.phoca.cz/phoca-documentatio ... ory-module
https://www.phoca.cz/phocadocumentation-navigation

First link is the component, second a module and 3. is a plugin.

Have have used many Phoca extensions, but never Documentation.
Have already installed all 3. Can't get it to work. Right now just not sure if it's because of
  • the framework I'm using (Helix3)
  • The webserver I'm using Nginx
  • PHP I'm using 7.2
  • modern routing with IDs removed (tried disabled this, although I can view the main article in manual, I cannot view any articles in the sub-categories
  • User error (<- I'm thinking it's 99.9% this, but I just can't figure out what is wrong. e.g. I can't see any settings in the Control Panel, and there's nothing in the error logs).
This is the last hurdle to overcome. Migration to Joomla can proceed once I figured this out how to do documentations... I know it can be done as there are so many joomla sites doing documentations. Just unsure how to begin.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”