Migrate from xampp with php 7.3 to online hosting with php 7.0

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
Radek100
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Migrate from xampp with php 7.3 to online hosting with php 7.0

Post by Radek100 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:26 pm

Hi,

I just tried to move my site from local server Xampp to my hosting online server. But I just realized that installed Xampp use php 7.3 but online server is only 7.0 php version. Is it problem to move my site to such online server?

The problem is I can't upgrade php version to 7.3 on that online server. When I try to reach that online site I still get error 500. So I am not sure if it is caused by php version or not.

Thank you!

JAVesey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Migrate from xampp with php 7.3 to online hosting with php 7.0

Post by JAVesey » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:35 pm

There are some significant differences between PHP7.0 and PHP7.3 which will affect some of the settings for your site.

Can you downgrade your Xampp set-up to PHP7.0 and get it working on there before transferring your site to the live server?

How are you doing the transfer? Might be easiest to install Akeeba Backup on your local site and use this to transfer your site.
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Uses Joomla 3.9.16 and PHP7.4.x

Radek100
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Radek100 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:46 pm

Hi JAVesey,

I can downgrade Xampp, but is it necessary?

I migrated site from xampp to online server several times without Akeeba with no problem, before (different sites). But now I stuck so it come to my mind it can be caused different php versions. But not sure if this is problem or not.

Thank you

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:24 pm

I'd ask your host first, why they can't/won't update PHP to something more recent, to 7.2 (at least) if not 7.3. The support for PHP 7.0 ended in December 2018.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

Radek100
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Radek100 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:57 pm

So I downgrade Xampp to version with PHP 7.0. As soon as I try to import database (exported from 7.3) it creates tables but with errors after import.
AMurray wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:24 pm
I'd ask your host first, why they can't/won't update PHP to something more recent, to 7.2 (at least) if not 7.3. The support for PHP 7.0 ended in December 2018.
I am using online server for more domains with different open source website solution (another then Joomla) and they doesn't support php 7.3 yet. Hosting provides only 7.0 or 7.3

suzanjack23
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by suzanjack23 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:23 am

Hello, Error 500 may be an internal server error ,If an error of this type persists over time, it can lead to serious losses for your company's website, this information will be avaliable in error log.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:31 am

If you use Akeeba the installation in the jpa file will often sort things out. Or at least point to where the problem is.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results": Albert Einstein

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”