JInstaller: :Install: Error SQL Can't DROP 'username' when updating to 3.9.19 Topic is solved

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
Post Reply
Stanley Krute
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed May 27, 2020 4:00 am

JInstaller: :Install: Error SQL Can't DROP 'username' when updating to 3.9.19

Post by Stanley Krute » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:39 pm

I updated a very simple site that I am building up, my first Joomla project --- by the way, I LOVE Joomla already, homage to all involved, been programming in lotsa universes since 1967, Joomla is heavenly -- and the update succeeded.

I received one warning message. I received the exact same message on my local xampp system where I develop, and the online site itself, hosted by BlueHost.
Warning
JInstaller: :Install: Error SQL Can't DROP 'username'; check that column/key exists
Files Update: SQL error file DB function failed with error number 1091
Can't DROP 'username'; check that column/key exists
SQL =

Code: Select all

ALTER TABLE `#__users` DROP INDEX `username`;
The jos_users table has no entries yet. So I imagine this is just an edge case. A simple test for an empty table that would preclude the operation would remove the warning I'm thinking ...
Last edited by toivo on Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: split from 3.9.19 Announcement Discussion

 
jgress-
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace
Posts: 1067
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:40 pm
Location: Austin, TX, USA

Re: Discuss Joomla! 3.9.19

Post by jgress- » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:28 pm

Stanley Krute wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:39 pm
I updated a very simple site that I am building up, my first Joomla project --- by the way, I LOVE Joomla already, homage to all involved, been programming in lotsa universes since 1967, Joomla is heavenly -- and the update succeeded.

I received one warning message. I received the exact same message on my local xampp system where I develop, and the online site itself, hosted by BlueHost.
Warning
JInstaller: :Install: Error SQL Can't DROP 'username'; check that column/key exists
Files Update: SQL error file DB function failed with error number 1091
Can't DROP 'username'; check that column/key exists
SQL =

Code: Select all

ALTER TABLE `#__users` DROP INDEX `username`;
The jos_users table has no entries yet. So I imagine this is just an edge case. A simple test for an empty table that would preclude the operation would remove the warning I'm thinking ...
Will you please try going to Extensions -> Manage -> Database Fix and clicking the button there to see if that resolves your issue?

Also, welcome to the Joomla! Forum!! :)
Co-author Using Joomla, Second Edition (migration/upgrade included) http://www.usingjoomlabook.com
Find a Joomla User Group (JUG) near you http://community.joomla.org/user-groups.html

Stanley Krute
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed May 27, 2020 4:00 am

Re: JInstaller: :Install: Error SQL Can't DROP 'username' when updating to 3.9.19

Post by Stanley Krute » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:24 am

That did it. Thanks so very much !!

I am so glad I found this joomla world !!!

Stanley Krute
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed May 27, 2020 4:00 am

Re: JInstaller: :Install: Error SQL Can't DROP 'username' when updating to 3.9.19

Post by Stanley Krute » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:27 am

Oh: also: just bought your book !!

jgress-
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace
Posts: 1067
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:40 pm
Location: Austin, TX, USA

Re: JInstaller: :Install: Error SQL Can't DROP 'username' when updating to 3.9.19

Post by jgress- » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:19 am

Oh Stanley, it's so outdated now. I wouldn't have necessarily suggested buying it. The concepts are good but the screen caps are all outdated and many of the words. The book was written I think in 3.2 or 3.3. I can't even remember now as it was like 2014.

So a lot of things used to have the word "manager" that don't now. Media Manager. Article Manager. Extensions Manager. Those were all dropped somewhere along the line. So in your install, it will just say Media. Articles. Extensions. Modules. Etc.

Thank you for your support. I have signed all royalties over to OSM (the legal and financial entity for the Joomla! Project) so it will help the organisation it was written about.

I'm also so glad the DB fix worked for you. Yay!!

Best, and again welcome!
Jenn :)
Co-author Using Joomla, Second Edition (migration/upgrade included) http://www.usingjoomlabook.com
Find a Joomla User Group (JUG) near you http://community.joomla.org/user-groups.html

User avatar
leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 20118
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:17 am
Location: Netherlands/ UK/ S'pore/Jakarta/ North America
Contact:

Re: JInstaller: :Install: Error SQL Can't DROP 'username' when updating to 3.9.19

Post by leolam » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:21 pm

jgress- wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:19 am
Oh Stanley, it's so outdated now. I wouldn't have necessarily suggested buying it. The concepts are good but the screen caps are all outdated and many of the words. The book was written I think in 3.2 or 3.3. I can't even remember now as it was like 2014.
Were you so young writing it or are you now so old? 8) oooops

Leo
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -
#Joomla Webmaster Services: gws-webmaster.services

jgress-
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace
Posts: 1067
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:40 pm
Location: Austin, TX, USA

Re: JInstaller: :Install: Error SQL Can't DROP 'username' when updating to 3.9.19

Post by jgress- » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:35 pm

leolam wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:21 pm
[Were you so young writing it or are you now so old? 8) oooops

Leo
Lol can it be both? ;)
Co-author Using Joomla, Second Edition (migration/upgrade included) http://www.usingjoomlabook.com
Find a Joomla User Group (JUG) near you http://community.joomla.org/user-groups.html

johnmwo5
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:25 pm

Re: JInstaller: :Install: Error SQL Can't DROP 'username' when updating to 3.9.19

Post by johnmwo5 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:18 pm

Thanks for that. I had the same problem. These errors showed. The database fix sorted them
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jgress-
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace
Posts: 1067
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:40 pm
Location: Austin, TX, USA

Re: JInstaller: :Install: Error SQL Can't DROP 'username' when updating to 3.9.19

Post by jgress- » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:21 pm

johnmwo5 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:18 pm
Thanks for that. I had the same problem. These errors showed. The database fix sorted them
I'm so pleased to hear that, John.
jenn
Co-author Using Joomla, Second Edition (migration/upgrade included) http://www.usingjoomlabook.com
Find a Joomla User Group (JUG) near you http://community.joomla.org/user-groups.html

 

Post Reply

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”