Can't migrate up from 3.3.6 - "No Updates Available" and other errors

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
statstuff
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Can't migrate up from 3.3.6 - "No Updates Available" and other errors

Post by statstuff » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:19 pm

I've spent hours researching this and no solution seems to work. Here are my current stats:
-Joomla 3.3.6
-PHP 5.3.29
-MySQL 8.0 (my host just upgraded to this which is why my site no longer works)

I tried updating Joomla, but it says "No Updates Available". I tried purging cache there, and clearing/purging cache in the global area, and also in Extensions Manager (which also says there are no updates available at the moment), but nothing helps.

At one point it did say I needed to upgrade Joomla to 3.6, but when I tried to run that upgrade, I got the error "Update: :Extension: Could not open https://update.joomla.org/core/sts/extension_sts.xml" I ensured that allow_url_fopen is true and fsockopen is enabled. I even went to my db_update_sites file where I hoped to change the https to http, but that path wasn't listed as one of the entries in the table.

Then I tried to just do a manual update in Extension Manager > Install. I tried stable versions of both 3.6.5 and 3.9.20 (the latest) and I get the error "JInstaller: :Install: Cannot find XML setup file".

All I want is to get my site functional for now so that it works on the recent MySQL 8.0 upgrade. What am I missing on this? Do I just need to scrap it and start over somehow?
Last edited by toivo on Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: moved from 3.x Installation

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Can't migrate up from 3.3.6 - "No Updates Available" and other errors

Post by sozzled » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:12 pm

statstuff wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:19 pm
Then I tried to just do a manual update [of Joomla!] in Extension Manager > Install. I tried stable versions of both 3.6.5 and 3.9.20 (the latest) and I get the error "JInstaller: :Install: Cannot find XML setup file".
That's not how to update Joomla! Use the Joomla! Update component to update J!

J! 3.3.6 will not work with MySQL 8.0. That's it: no ifs, buts of maybes. If you cannot go back to the previous version of MySQL with your webhost then you will have to use a different webhosting provider.

If you want more advice, use the Forum Post Assistant first, please.

https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:32 pm

A secondary issue....just wondering why the host has upgraded MySQL to 8.0 but still using an obsolete PHP version? I think that is also contributing to the issue with MySQL 8.0.

But as mentioned by @sozzled, Joomla 3.3.x won't run on it, and it is not as far as I can see, officially supported as far as system requirements are concerned. Refer to https://docs.joomla.org/Joomla_and_MySQL_8 for information.

If you can drop the MySQL version to 5.x you will get your site working; also when you upgrade to above Joomla 3.5, see that you switch to PHP 7.x as the v5.x is out of support and EOL - refer https://www.php.net/supported-versions.php for details of PHP support life-cycle.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Help you I can, yes!. Post your question, you should. Keep it on topic you must!
Use the Forc....Forum Post Assistant my young Padawan!

statstuff
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by statstuff » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:26 pm

Thank you both, but you hit the crux of my question. My host won't revert back to older versions of MySQL, so that's why I want to upgrade to a version of Joomla that's higher than 3.3.6 - like I want to go to 3.6.X or 3.9.X. And yes, I know I prefer to use the Joomla Update, but it won't let me since it (incorrectly) says 3.3.6 is the most currently available version.

How can I get my Joomla Update to reflect a more currently available version to update to?

And if I can't get that to work, then how else can I upgrade Joomla when I keep getting all those errors?

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:42 am

Suggest, as previously suggested, try running this SQL: on your database (live site)

Code: Select all

ALTER USER 'username'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED WITH mysql_native_password BY 'password';
as per https://docs.joomla.org/Joomla_and_MySQL_8 on your live site. Not sure how you'd do the restart MySQL bit especially on shared hosting where you're not in control of the server. (restart may not even be necessary, maybe just close the browser, then restart it and go back to your site.

(Back it up first - Akeeba Backup or other method).

Perhaps you can do the above offline e.g. with WAMPServer and then restore the site back to live afterwards.
Make sure to try this with WAMPServer and MySQL 8 (you can download any extra modules required from www.wampserver.com). I think WAMPserver is distributed with MySQL 5.6.x

Anyway hopefully directions above are understood, and you can try these suggestions.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Help you I can, yes!. Post your question, you should. Keep it on topic you must!
Use the Forc....Forum Post Assistant my young Padawan!

statstuff
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by statstuff » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:28 pm

Thank you @AMurray - I didn't realize that no version of Joomla 3.X will work with MySQL 8, so even if I upgrade Joomla, it sounds like it still wouldn't help me.

I'm in contact with my host to see what other options I have. They're telling me they won't downgrade MySQL because others on the server are using it. So I'm hoping they'll move me to another server or possibly other options if the workaround won't work for me.

statstuff
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by statstuff » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:29 pm

My webhost agreed to go back to the older working version of MySQL. I wonder if they had enough people complaining about their sites going down too. Thanks @AMurray!

darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by darb » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:45 pm

@statstuff what web host do you using? and what url do you have?

answer: This will not be answered and we will never see this @statstuff here anyone bcc this is a bogus post for discourage Joomla do you understand Moderators?
Success in the long run Its not about the code its about the people and community that's make it!
Its not what you say its what you do that matters!

Darb - aka ssnobben

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:09 pm

@darb, there is no need to create some conspiracy theories! Let's give @statstuff a chance to reply.

statstuff wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:28 pm
I didn't realize that no version of Joomla 3.X will work with MySQL 8, so even if I upgrade Joomla, it sounds like it still wouldn't help me.
Joomla 3.9 and PHP 7.3+ work perfectly all right with MySQL 8. I use MySQL 8.0.20 every day with Joomla 3.9.20 and Joomla 4 Beta3-dev.

The article @AMurray referred to was written almost two years ago when PHP 7.3 was still in alpha testing.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

statstuff
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by statstuff » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:54 pm

Thanks @toivo - my webhost reverted me back to the older MySQL to restore usability of my site. I'm still on the old 3.3.6 version of Joomla and it's still not letting me do an automatic upgrade to 3.9 despite all the things (and more) that I previously listed. I don't know the root cause and frankly am at this point just considering a rebuild of the site on a new upgraded platform just to start it fresh.

@darb - I agree with @toivo. Your accusations are neither helpful nor warranted. And since I'm able to get it running, your question on the webhost & site are moot. If you have something constructive to offer that actually explains the root cause of why I can't upgrade despite my detailed description of all I attempted, then I would love to hear it and would be willing to try it.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:01 pm

@statstuff: pleased to hear that you have your website operation restored to normal. Yes, you have a few choices (e.g. investigate why you can't seem to update from J! 3.3.6 or just start over). As I wrote earlier,
sozzled wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:12 pm
If you want more advice, use the Forum Post Assistant first, please.

I cannot say more than that. Cheers :)
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by darb » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:03 am

@statstuff glad that It helped to revert your MySQL version and your site working now again!

What web host did that for you? Its good you share that info for other users that have the same problem with that host...

So my apologize for this but Its very unusual that first time Joomla forum reg users (Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:57) that have used Joomla since Joomla version 3.3.6, never been in the forum before and not understand the importance of updating Joomla easy automatically with a 10 second update click on a button to get your site working in a stable, secure and fast way.

So now we can help you so follow Sozzled advice --> "Do the Forum Post Assistant first, please.Please give us the url of your web site you refering too."
We can better solve the problem then...
Success in the long run Its not about the code its about the people and community that's make it!

Darb - aka ssnobben

statstuff
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by statstuff » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:21 pm

OK @darb, I'll try that. I'm reluctant to share the web host because I've been with them for nearly 10 years and they've always been very helpful & responsive. I suspect it was just one particular person and oversight, and they were finally responsive after I complained.

statstuff
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by statstuff » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:06 pm

OK, I did the FPA and here's the output I got...

Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'UTC' for 'UTC/0.0/no DST' instead in /[SERVER PATH]/fpa-en.php on line 186

Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'UTC' for 'UTC/0.0/no DST' instead in /[SERVER PATH]/fpa-en.php on line 187

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'Exception' with message 'DateTime::__construct() [<a href='datetime.--construct'>datetime.--construct</a>]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'UTC' for 'UTC/0.0/no DST' instead' in /[SERVER PATH]/fpa-en.php:189 Stack trace: #0 /[SERVER PATH]/fpa-en.php(189): DateTime->__construct('22-07-2020') #1 {main} thrown in /[SERVER PATH]/fpa-en.php on line 189

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:20 pm

Thanks for that information. The errors indicate that the FPA script won't run in your environment. See, specifically, the description attached to the fatal error.

I think you need to set a value for the PHP setting date.timezone, e.g. date.timezone = UTC. Alternatively, you may need to enable a service at the web host; I'm not sure which one you need to enabled because this hasn't happened to me. I would contact your webhosting provider, show them the errors and ask for their advice.

This date/time setting may explain why you don't see updates available. Therefore the error looks relevant to me.

Quick question: what version of PHP are you using? We may have a workaround for the FPA problem if we know that answer (i.e. use an older FPA script downloaded from https://github.com/ForumPostAssistant/FPA/releases)

statstuff
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by statstuff » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:47 pm

Thanks - I also wondered if that's why it couldn't detect the dated and causing my update issues.

My PHP is 5.3.29 It would be great if you know a workaround I could apply

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:11 pm

PHP 5.3.9?! Oh dear, that explains a lot, too.

That version of PHP was released in June 2009.

The current release of the FPA will not run with PHP below v 5.6. That's a small issue really. I would suggest that you at asking your webhosting provider what options you have to update to PHP 5.6. You cannot run any version of J! below J! 3.5 with PHP 7 (so that's not an option at this time). There are versions of PHP that should run with PHP 5.3.9 but I wouldn't know which one(s) will work for you; I'm not even sure if the FPA report would help.

Looks to me like the chickens have come home to roost. Leaving your website unmaintained (at J! 3.3.6) for all this time (J! 3.3.6 was released in October 2014 and is sixty releases behind the current version), your webhosting provider will probably want to withdraw support for PHP 5.3.9 (leaving you exposed) and now everything is all a bit of a rush.

I strongly urge you to consider your strategy. It may be possible to patch a few things and keep you afloat for another few weeks but it's like a band-aid when surgery is required. You have other choices, too, depending on how urgent you want to address the matter. For example, you could choose to do nothing and wait and see what happens next: (a) your webhosting provider will make the environment unworkable for you or advise you to take your business elsewhere, or (b) your website is hacked because you're running vulnerable, exploitable, unsupported software, or (c) you decide to concentrate on working in the garden or reading the newspapers or whatever else you want to do. I can't advise you on what happens next. It's not my website; it's not my business.

Good luck.

statstuff
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by statstuff » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:39 pm

Thanks. Hmmm, gardening sounds so nice about now. ;)

So I'm thinking I can setup a completely separate site using the latest platforms for J!, PHP, & MySQL, and then migrate my current content to it (e.g., articles, users, etc.) and then just make that my new domain and delete the old one.

If that sounds reasonable, then are there some simple guides on how to do that, like ensuring I don't lose all my user accounts, etc.?

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:49 pm

I'll be quick (because I'm half-way out the front door for an appointment).

Para 2 sounds reasonable.

Can't guarantee any "simple" guides but I'm sure someone else here can point you in the right direction. With a bit of careful planning—you may have to make some compromises and, maybe, some sacrifices—you should be able to retain all your user accounts without any drama. Cheers.

darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by darb » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:16 am

So I'm thinking I can setup a completely separate site using the latest platforms for J!, PHP, & MySQL
Agree seems to be that fastest and smartest way forward.. Good luck!

Darb - aka ssnobben

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:03 pm

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”