Joomla! 3.2.7

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Joomla! 3.2.7

Post by Webdongle » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:24 pm

I tried on php 5.6.40 Wamp but got errors about deprecated code and J3.2.7 would not install.

Sigh: not getting much luck testing lately
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

abernyte
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by abernyte » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:13 am

Forgive my pessimism but the "something breaking" will undoubtedly be a third party extension version issue. Using Method C gets Joomla core up to J3.5.1 and ready for the next jump.
As the OP has Akeeba installed this could all safely be handled in Dev on WAMP with control over the php version.I can only hope he is not considering doing this on Prod.
Understanding why J3.2.7 is not offering the upgrade would be nice but it is getting in the road.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:05 am

@abernyte: have you read through this discussion about what we know can prevent the Joomla! Update component from working? We have information about what can prevent the automatic updating of J!

What we cannot do, however, is explain clearly enough to the OP how to go through the steps to work through this impediment.

The OP does not know to find if the entry for Joomla! Core in the Update Sites facility is enabled or disabled and we don't know how to explain the procedure clearly enough. Anyway, it's not our problem, is it? Let's allow the OP to work out the solution if they really want it enough. 8)

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:46 am

Update by install as an extension.

Note: From 3 6.0 you can no longer do this.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:50 am

3.2.7 is prior to 3.6.0 so should the OP use Install by extension?
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:11 am

I'm thinking the same thing, too.

I was able to install J! 3.2.7 on Wampserver (by "disabling" error logging) and I found two things:

1) The Joomla! Update component doesn't provide a means to update this version (see screenshot below):
j327_latestVersion.png
2) The J! 3.2.7 Extension Manager does not have an Update Sites facility! (see screenshot below):
j327_noUpdateSites.png
So ... all the talk about "update sites" does not apply to J! 3.2.7. Which means we need to find another mechanism to update J! from this version. I have not [yet] been able to update by using any built-in method. Updating from this version needs some "manual" intervention. :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by sozzled on Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:26 am

Per Yngve Berg wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:11 pm 1. Switch to PHP 5.6
2. Do the J-Update

Here is the 3.5.1 update package: https://downloads.joomla.org/cms/joomla ... format=zip
There is no "Upload & Update" facility available for the Joomla! Update component in J! 3.2.7.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:29 am

I tried to use the Extension Manager to install the "update package" mentioned by @Per earlier. It did not work when I tried to Install from URL. See image below (click on it).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:40 am

Use the File Upload Method.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:17 am

I've had success ... but it was an ordeal.

1) Make sure upload_max_filesize = 64M and post_max_size = 128M.
2) Download the J! 3.4.8 installation package to your PC.
3) Use the Extension Manager » Upload Package File and enter the location of the J! 3.4.8 installation in the text box.
4) Click Install. You will be logged out when the installation is completed.
5) Login to the backend again. Go to Extensions » Manage » Update.
6) Click Clear Cache (top left of screen)
7) Now you can go to Components » Joomla! Update and you will see that J! 3.6.5 is the next available version.

It looks like J! 3.4 was the first version to display Extensions » Manage » Update Sites.

Conclusion: You cannot update from J! 3.2.7 to a later version without using the Extension Manager » Upload Package File and "install" J! 3.4.8 first.

Note for @Per: You can't use the Extension Manager » Upload Package File with J! 3.5.1 because it fails with "unable to find XML file". ;)

Per Yngve Berg wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:46 amUpdate by install as an extension. Note: From 3 6.0 you can no longer do this.
You can't do this from J! 3.5.0

Webdongle wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:50 am 3.2.7 is prior to 3.6.0 so should the OP use Install by extension?
See above.

abernyte wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:13 amUsing Method C gets Joomla core up to J3.5.1 and ready for the next jump.
Ditto.

Using the Joomla! Update component (back when J! 3.2.7 was first released) must have worked at one time but that was six years ago and the world had changed since then (and I have trouble remembering where I left my coffee cup let alone what the world was like in 2014). I don't know why the Joomla! Update component does not work today with J! 3.2.7 but we'll leave that for historians to debate. What we can confidently say is that there are ways to move past J! 3.2.7—there may be more than one way if people are desperate enough to try other methods—and I've provided a step-by-step method of one way to achieve it.

abernyte
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by abernyte » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:46 am

abernyte wrote: ↑Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:13 am
Using Method C gets Joomla core up to J3.5.1 and ready for the next jump.
Ditto.
That has been some impressive testing of the back catalogue but for clarity in the future are you saying that you tried Method C and it failed?
(Method C being overwrite with J3.5.1 files via FTP and the mbabker fix)
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:09 am

As I also wrote earlier, there may be a couple of ways to resolve this particular problem but, until we've heard from the OP, our "panel discussion" is probably not assisting matters.Overwriting the file system with new versions of files is not the recommended approach to resolving this problem. Of course, if you want to try this yourself then no-one is stopping you. As we all know, at one time the Joomla! Update component worked to get people from J! 3.2.7 to J! 3.3.0. As we now know, this doesn't work.

As we also know, Michael Babker is no longer involved with Joomla! It's possible that his workaround may still work, I don't know. I've spent a few hours in building a test lab, reproducing the problem and finding a solution that works. I really don't have the interest in building another test lab, reproducing the same problem and trying to find a different solution that's more complicated and time-consuming than the one I already found.

So, to restate the solution:

=== THE SOLUTION ===

1) Make sure upload_max_filesize = 64M and post_max_size = 128M.
2) Download the J! 3.4.8 installation package to your PC.
3) Use the Extension Manager » Upload Package File and enter the location of the J! 3.4.8 installation in the text box.
4) Click Install. You will be logged out when the installation is completed.
5) Login to the backend again. Go to Extensions » Manage » Update.
6) Click Clear Cache (top left of screen)
7) Now you can go to Components » Joomla! Update and you will see that J! 3.6.5 is the next available version.

This solution works. "Method C" ... who knows ???

abernyte
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by abernyte » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:56 am

So that's a no then?
I appreciate that you have spent hours replicating this and detailing it but Method C appears in the Joomla Docs https://docs.joomla.org/J3.x:Upgrading_ ... 4.x_to_3.5 and it would have been good to know if such a simple procedure to fix this issue no longer worked so we can deprecate that in future advice....but the jury is still out. As you didn't try, we still don't know. I will try to test it and resolve this.

Martin_Web
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Martin_Web » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:09 am

sozzled wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:17 am I've had success ... but it was an ordeal.
Thank you very very much! Willl use your step by step manual.

Martin_Web
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Martin_Web » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:59 am

I never said thank you. BeIated, I would like to make up for that. Thanks to everybody.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”