Upgrade PHP for 3.x Joomla

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
tieuhocvn
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Upgrade PHP for 3.x Joomla

Post by tieuhocvn » Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:50 am

I am stupid man
I have a question. Canyou help me!
My site have a notice:
--------------------
We have detected that your server is using PHP 5.6.40 which is obsolete and no longer receives official security updates by its developers. The Joomla! Project recommends upgrading your site to PHP 8.0 or later which will receive security updates at least until 2023-11-26. Please ask your host to make PHP 8.0 or a later version the default version for your site. If your host is already PHP 8.0 ready please enable PHP 8.0 on your site's root and 'administrator' directories – typically you can do this yourself through a tool in your hosting control panel, but it's best to ask your host if you are unsure.

***** Manual signatures are NOT allowed *****__
Now How do I have to đo first?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tieuhocvn on Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Upgrade PHP for 3.x Joomla

Post by toivo » Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:02 am

If your website is still using Joomla 2.5, you are using the version of PHP recommended for Joomla 2.5, PHP 5.6.

It is likely that your current website uses a template and some old third party extensions that do not support Joomla 3.x or later versions of PHP, for example PHP 7.4 or even less PHP 8.0 and above. Therefore the website needs to be reviewed and the third party extensions checked from the JED (Joomla Extensions Directory) and the developers' websites.

The Forum Post Assistant (FPA) is a useful tool in the planning exercise. The link is available from the red banner at the top of this topic. Post the results in BBCode into your reply and our experts can then comment and give recommendations.

Ref. Requirements for Unsupported Software - Joomla! 1.6, 1.7, & 2.5
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

tieuhocvn
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tieuhocvn » Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:48 am

Thanks a lot.!!!! My site is 3.10.5 . can you help me the link to aricles or videos for me to slove this problem.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:13 am

If this website is already using Joomla 3.10.5, it will work in PHP 8.0 but some older third party extensions may report PHP warnings, errors and Deprecated messages. Therefore it is best to test the update first in a localhost test environment, using for example Wampserver, where you can install different PHP versions as addons and switch between them.

You can still post the results from the Forum Post Asssistant (FPA) by following the instructions at https://forumpostassistant.github.io/docs/ so that the configuration and the versions of third party extensions can be reviewed by our volunteer experts.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”