Upgrade from 2.5 inside Podman

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
CrazyOldGuy
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Upgrade from 2.5 inside Podman

Post by CrazyOldGuy » Fri May 05, 2023 8:55 pm

I inherited a working 2.5 site. I'd really like to get it to 4.3x ..
In order NOT to perform open heart surgery on the working site, I spent some time and made friends with PODMAN.
I have a copy of the site running nicely in a podman container. The container is NOT web capable, so I can't go from inside of it to a Joomla website.
OK. I downloaded some 3x UPGRADE packages. 3.5.1 & 3.10.11 -- both say (2.5 to them) The 2.5 Extensions/Install screen allows me to specify a folder: /var/www/joomla/tmp -- Ok cool.
The install process (I hate magic) first looks for a file named "joomla.xml". After a few attempts (Podman containers are really great for snapshotting and starting over.) I copied the joomla.xml file from /administrator/manifest/files into the root of the package folder. Install from Directory /var/www/joomla/tmp/Joomla_3.10.11-Stable-Update_Package

500 - An error has occurred.

Installation unexpectedly terminated:Files Install: Custom install routine failure

Return to Control Panel

Call stack
# Function Location
1 JAdministrator->dispatch() /var/www/joomla/administrator/index.php:46
2 JComponentHelper::renderComponent() /var/www/joomla/administrator/includes/application.php:153
3 JComponentHelper::executeComponent() /var/www/joomla/libraries/joomla/application/component/helper.php:348
4 require_once() /var/www/joomla/libraries/joomla/application/component/helper.php:380
5 JController->execute() /var/www/joomla/administrator/components/com_installer/installer.php:18
6 InstallerControllerInstall->install() /var/www/joomla/libraries/joomla/application/component/controller.php:761
7 InstallerModelInstall->install() /var/www/joomla/administrator/components/com_installer/controllers/install.php:29
8 JInstaller->install() /var/www/joomla/administrator/components/com_installer/models/install.php:105
9 JInstallerFile->install() /var/www/joomla/libraries/joomla/installer/installer.php:472
10 JInstaller->abort() /var/www/joomla/libraries/joomla/installer/adapters/file.php:140
11 JError::raiseError() /var/www/joomla/libraries/joomla/installer/installer.php:417
12 JError::raise() /var/www/joomla/libraries/joomla/error/error.php:251

Joomla! Debug Console
Errors

Files Install: Custom install routine failure
Call stack
# Function Location
1 JAdministrator->dispatch() JROOT/administrator/index.php:46
2 JComponentHelper::renderComponent() JROOT/administrator/includes/application.php:153
3 JComponentHelper::executeComponent() JROOT/libraries/joomla/application/component/helper.php:348
4 require_once() JROOT/libraries/joomla/application/component/helper.php:380
5 JController->execute() JROOT/administrator/components/com_installer/installer.php:18
6 InstallerControllerInstall->install() JROOT/libraries/joomla/application/component/controller.php:761
7 InstallerModelInstall->install() JROOT/administrator/components/com_installer/controllers/install.php:29
8 JInstaller->install() JROOT/administrator/components/com_installer/models/install.php:105
9 JInstallerFile->install() JROOT/libraries/joomla/installer/installer.php:472
10 JInstaller->abort() JROOT/libraries/joomla/installer/adapters/file.php:140
11 JError::raiseWarning() JROOT/libraries/joomla/installer/installer.php:348
12 JError::raise() JROOT/libraries/joomla/error/error.php:276
Installation unexpectedly terminated:Files Install: Custom install routine failure
Call stack
# Function Location
1 JAdministrator->dispatch() JROOT/administrator/index.php:46
2 JComponentHelper::renderComponent() JROOT/administrator/includes/application.php:153
3 JComponentHelper::executeComponent() JROOT/libraries/joomla/application/component/helper.php:348
4 require_once() JROOT/libraries/joomla/application/component/helper.php:380
5 JController->execute() JROOT/administrator/components/com_installer/installer.php:18
6 InstallerControllerInstall->install() JROOT/libraries/joomla/application/component/controller.php:761
7 InstallerModelInstall->install() JROOT/administrator/components/com_installer/controllers/install.php:29
8 JInstaller->install() JROOT/administrator/components/com_installer/models/install.php:105
9 JInstallerFile->install() JROOT/libraries/joomla/installer/installer.php:472
10 JInstaller->abort() JROOT/libraries/joomla/installer/adapters/file.php:140
11 JError::raiseError() JROOT/libraries/joomla/installer/installer.php:417
12 JError::raise() JROOT/libraries/joomla/error/error.php:251

---> Now this is an "ow ow" error message that doesn't seem to tell anything useful. There is no line 46 in index.php, there is no application.php program (It's been years since I hacked php and much prefer python.) This upgrade should be a simple thing: 1) fix database structure, 2) fix some records, 3) replace code, RESTART.

Is there some way that I can "cheat" and fire the update program from the command line inside the folders? Are the packages missing files? Poorly Configured? (Even IBM does that sometimes, but managment used to get upset when they noticed.)

Please, if you have a clue --- or you can drag a team member away from their beer -- HELP
Last edited by toivo on Fri May 05, 2023 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: moved from 3.x Installation

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Upgrade from 2.5 inside Podman

Post by AMurray » Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:01 pm

The first thing to consider is the PHP version. Joomla 2.5 requires lesser server specs than 3.10.x or 4.x and those latter ones won't run on what Joomla 2.5 requires.

The next thing to consider is extensions including templates from J! 2.5 as they won't likely run on 3.10 or 4.x.

I don't know what "Podman" is.

Most of us here would use a "normal" (?) AMP stack server (Apache, MySql, PHP) like XaMPP or WAMPserver for localhost development and likely similar hosting specs for live hosting via shared or VPS or dedicated hosting with their hosting provider.

There is no"team" except the volunteers who spend their own time on this forum.

Hopefully some of the above will get you going with your upgrades
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Upgrade from 2.5 inside Podman

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:07 am

Download 3.4.8. This is the last version you can install as an extension. After that Components->Joomla upgrade must be used.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”