Core extension from 2.5 still in 3.10.12

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
pelacables123
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Core extension from 2.5 still in 3.10.12

Post by pelacables123 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:02 pm

Hi all,

First of all let me say that I'm new to joomla.
I'm trying to upgrade a very old joomla installation (2.5.9) to something that has not reached EOL :-)

I've been following guides and reading posts here and there and I've managed to upgrade the installation to 3.10.12 (an PHP 8!!). So, I started from 2.5.9 -> 2.5.28 -> 3.5.1 -> 3.10.12 .
After each upgrade I went to extensions and made sure none had pending updatesand that my DB was upgraded.
I also fixed/removed those extensions that stopped working after one or the other upgrade (k2, or hator, i.e). And I also removed some directories from the joomal installation becasue they were kind of left-overs (according to some posts I've read).

At this point, and before jumping to 4, I'd like to fix some issues I've seens and that show that my upgrade did not fully work.

My site now run 3.10.12 and everything looks ok, but when I go to extension, it keeps saying that there are no updates, but if I look at the list of extnsions I see a few that are still from 2.5.0 and are protected, so I have the feeling that the core extension have not been (fully?) upgraded ? (TBH not sure what it means, cause I find it weird that my installation could run 3.10.12 with core extension from 2.5.0). As an example :

Code: Select all

Cache Administrator	Component	2.5.0	April 2006	Joomla! Project	N/A	 	5

Categories Administrator	Component	2.5.0	December 2007	Joomla! Project	N/A	 	6

Check-in Administrator	Component	2.5.0	Unknown	Joomla! Project	N/A	 	7

Configuration Administrator	Component	2.5.0	April 2006	Joomla! Project	N/A	 	23

Control Panel Administrator	Component	2.5.0	April 2006	Joomla! Project	N/A	 	9

Custom Site	Module	2.5.0	July 2004	Joomla! Project	N/A	 	205

Custom Administrator	Module	2.5.0	July 2004	Joomla! Project	N/A	 	300
I've been looking for a guide on how to upgrade those extensions but all I've found says that the extension section itself should tell me what extensions need to be upgrade, and in my case it says that everything is up2date:
There are no updates available at the moment. Please check again later.
So, before looking into other small issues I'm facing, I'd like to ask the community if what I see is expected or not and, if not, how I could upgrade all those "core" and protected extensions.

TIA

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Core extension from 2.5 still in 3.10.12

Post by AMurray » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:25 pm

Did you follow the proper procedures for updating following the Joomla documentation? (I don't know what the 'various posts' were that you referenced).

https://docs.joomla.org/Joomla_2.5_to_3 ... _Migration

https://docs.joomla.org/Joomla_3.x_to_4 ... _Migration

Updating extensions would be done by going to the Extensions Manager and checking for updates or seeking new versions from vendor websites.

The core and protected extensions are part of the Joomla system. They won't need updating if you have successfully updated to 3.10.12. I don't know how the versioning works, but I too have core extensions that don't necessarily say "3.10..." (or 4.0/5.0) as their version numbers.

The database is modified automatically as part of the update process.

I don't know what 'directories' you removed but that seemed unnecessary, you would remove any old extensions through the relevant joomla version extension manager.

Please run and post the FPA Report (see red box top of this forum screen).
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

pelacables123
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Core extension from 2.5 still in 3.10.12

Post by pelacables123 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:35 pm

I've repeated the update process and this time all those core modules show version 3.0. This indicates that my previous update did not work.

Code: Select all

Check-in
Administrator	Component	3.0.0	April 2006	Joomla! Project	N/A	 	7

Contacts
Administrator	Component	3.0.0	April 2006	Joomla! Project	N/A	 	8

Control Panel
Administrator	Component	3.0.0	April 2006	Joomla! Project	N/A	 	9

Installer
Administrator	Component	3.0.0	April 2006	Joomla! Project	N/A	 	10

Languages
Administrator	Component	3.0.0	April 2006	Joomla! Project	N/A	 	11

Login
Administrator	Component	3.0.0	April 2006	Joomla! Project	N/A	 	12

Media
Administrator	Component	3.0.0	April 2006	Joomla! Project	N/A	 	13

Menus
Administrator	Component	3.0.0	April 2006	Joomla! Project	N/A	 	14

Messaging
Administrator	Component	3.0.0	April 2006	Joomla! Project	N/A	 	15

Modules
Administrator	Component	3.0.0	April 2006	Joomla! Project	N/A	 	16

News Feeds
Administrator	Component	3.0.0	April 2006	Joomla! Project	N/A	 	17

Plugins
Administrator	Component	3.0.0	April 2006	Joomla! Project	N/A	 	18

Search
Administrator	Component	3.0.0	April 2006	Joomla! Project	N/A	 	19

I'd like to leave some notes here for other having to follow the same process.many thanks to viewtopic.php?t=997771.

Seemes like extar 3.4.1 update does help a bit. So it's 2.5.9 -> 2.5.28 -> 3.4.1 -> 3.6.1 -> 3.10.12

Issues I've faced:
  • after upgrading to 2.5.28 you must switch to short term support to see 3.X version available. It did not work.
    Manually update to 3.4.8. downlaod full 3.4.8 package -> from extensions -> install from file
  • Even with DB up2date, faced another issue: Missing extra_query in update_site table (fixed in PHPAdmin)
  • Unknown column 'title_alias' in 'aujsc_content' SQL=ALTER TABLE `aujsc_content` CHANGE `title_alias` `title_alias` VARCHAR( 255 ) CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL DEFAULT '';

Fixed in PHPMyadmin
  • update to 3.10.12 (error 1054 )
    Error: Failed to start application: Call to undefined method JApplicationAdministrator::isClient()

Error 1054 Unknown column 'a.client_id' in 'where clause.' Fixed in PHPMyAdmin
Now I'll backup and try upgrading to 4.x.

wish me good luck :-)

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”