Problem in updating to 3.2

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
Hobbes99
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Problem in updating to 3.2

Post by Hobbes99 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:19 pm

Lincky wrote:Hello,
I try to update my joomla in the backoffice, and i got this error:

1050 Table 'bamj_postinstall_messages' already exists SQL=CREATE TABLE `bamj_postinstall_messages` ( `postinstall_message_id` bigint(20) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, `extension_id` bigint(20) NOT NULL DEFAULT '700' COMMENT 'FK to #__extensions', `title_key` varchar(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '' COMMENT 'Lang key for the title', `description_key` varchar(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '' COMMENT 'Lang key for description', `action_key` varchar(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '', `language_extension` varchar(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT 'com_postinstall' COMMENT 'Extension holding lang keys', `language_client_id` tinyint(3) NOT NULL DEFAULT '1', `type` varchar(10) NOT NULL DEFAULT 'link' COMMENT 'Message type - message, link, action', `action_file` varchar(255) DEFAULT '' COMMENT 'RAD URI to the PHP file containing action method', `action` varchar(255) DEFAULT '' COMMENT 'Action method name or URL', `condition_file` varchar(255) DEFAULT NULL COMMENT 'RAD URI to file holding display condition method', `condition_method` varchar(255) DEFAULT NULL COMMENT 'Display condition method, must return boolean', `version_introduced` varchar(50) NOT NULL DEFAULT '3.2.0' COMMENT 'Version when this message was introduced', `enabled` tinyint(3) NOT NULL DEFAULT '1', PRIMARY KEY (`postinstall_message_id`) ) DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8;
On the off-chance that this is of any use to anyone, I'd been receiving the exact same error message (as above) when attempting to update from Joomla 3.1.5 to 3.2.1. Though, in my case, I was not seeing any of the scary back-end lock outs.

When I then went to Extensions > Extension Manager > Database, I would see the following;
Warning: Database is not up to date!
Table 'jos_modules' does not have column 'asset_id'. (From file 3.2.0.sql.)
Table 'jos_users' does not have column 'otpKey'. (From file 3.2.0.sql.)
Table 'jos_users' does not have column 'otep'. (From file 3.2.0.sql.)
Clicking the 'Fix' button would resolve these messages and, to the best of my knowledge, everything was then working fine - though given the massive variety of bugs reported by others, I wasn't content to leave it at that. I wanted to know why the upgrade was kicking up errors in the first place.

I found the answer to my problem. Here's what was happening;
  • Like a responsible administrator, I was using a duplicate installation on which to test my upgrades. I was not upgrading my live installation.
  • When I wanted to test something from scratch, I would use Akeeba Backup to take a fresh snapshot of my live site and restore that onto my test environment.
  • Prior to restoring from a backup, I deleted all files from the test site's web directory - but I did NOT delete or erase the database. I simply overwrote the DB during the Akeeba Kickstart restoration. I had specified that Akeeba Kickstart should DROP existing tables during restoration ... and I'm not sure that it was. That, or there was a load of content that somehow didn't match up - because my database was 3 times the size it should have been.
Once I erased my database and recreated it from scratch, I was then able to do (yet another) Akeeba Kickstart restore - and this time, when I attempted the upgrade from Joomla 3.1.5 to 3.2.1 it worked flawlessly. No errors, no uninstalling or disabling any extensions, it just worked.

This solution obviously won't be as simple for everyone - but it also struck me that other people might have (at some stage) performed a restore from a backup over the top of a populated database on a production environment - which could have contributed to some of the issues described above. It's also worth noting that this site was built upon Joomla 3.0.x initially, so I didn't ever have to upgrade from Joomla 2.x or 1.5 - which may or may not have left its own baggage behind.

I hope that's of some use to someone.

Garamond
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Garamond » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:45 pm

eorion2 wrote:Hi
Got the same message

administrator/components/com_postinstall/models/messages.php on line 37

after two sites upgrade.
Cannot get into the main control panel. however I can get into any other place in management site.
Eden
Same here. And no obvious fix for it either :eek: I have been a regular Joomla user since 2006, but it seems more and more bloated now. There is a need to find another solution out there. I know YooTheme is working on something really promising!

champchoel
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by champchoel » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:42 am

birnik wrote:OK, bug found and here is the fix.
1. Uninstall anything that is Akeeba Related - plugins, modules, components - all of them.
2. Uninstall FOF Library (Extensions-> Manage-> Filter by FOF), but NOT the one with id 105. The one to uninstall is actually with ID 10000+ something.
3. Re-upload the following folder from the Joomla! package: libraries/fof into your site.

Problem is fixed.

Regards,
Birnik
O la la, Birnik. I thank you very much for your trick. it work well and smoothly on my joomla. Have a nice day.
http://templateplazza.com/ - Joomla Templates and Extension

bsich
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bsich » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:55 pm

I upgraded from 3.1.5 to 3.2.2 and got the failure which started this thread.

Table 'p4ua3_postinstall_messages' already exists SQL=CREATE TABLE `p4ua3_postinstall_messages` ( `postinstall_message_id` bigint(20) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, `extension_id` bigint(20) NOT NULL DEFAULT '700' COMMENT 'FK to #__extensions', `title_key` varchar(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '' COMMENT 'Lang key for the title', `description_key` varchar(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '' COMMENT 'Lang key for description', `action_key` varchar(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '', `language_extension` varchar(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT 'com_postinstall' COMMENT 'Extension holding lang keys', `language_client_id` tinyint(3) NOT NULL DEFAULT '1', `type` varchar(10) NOT NULL DEFAULT 'link' COMMENT 'Message type - message, link, action', `action_file` varchar(255) DEFAULT '' COMMENT 'RAD URI to the PHP file containing action method', `action` varchar(255) DEFAULT '' COMMENT 'Action method name or URL', `condition_file` varchar(255) DEFAULT NULL COMMENT 'RAD URI to file holding display condition method', `condition_method` varchar(255) DEFAULT NULL COMMENT 'Display condition method, must return boolean', `version_introduced` varchar(50) NOT NULL DEFAULT '3.2.0' COMMENT 'Version when this message was introduced', `enabled` tinyint(3) NOT NULL DEFAULT '1', PRIMARY KEY (`postinstall_message_id`) ) DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8;

Got back to the control panel and everything seems ok, my screen says 3.2.2. Did I get a good update. Akeeba was never installed and the only place I can find fof is in the file system.

bilbaxo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bilbaxo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:00 pm

hello,
same problem for me.
update without problem
same message when i try to connect to administrator... :(

patriota
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by patriota » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:31 pm

skelgaard wrote:deadvirusllc
Gracias esta fue la solución definitiva para la migración a joomla 3.2 sin perder el panel de control

terdono
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by terdono » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:49 am

Is it normal that Joomla can't access the necessary files with the normal/automatic update?

Gany
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Gany » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:04 am

I got exactly the same problem, right now. :-[

Fresh Joomla install:

PHP Built On (Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1) i586
Database Version 5.5.16-log
Database Collation utf8_general_ci
PHP Version 5.3.8
Web Server Apache/2.2.21 (Win32) PHP/5.3.8
WebServer to PHP Interface apache2handler
Joomla! Version Joomla! 3.2.3 Stable [ Ember ] 6-March-2014 14:30 GMT
Joomla! Platform Version Joomla Platform 13.1.0 Stable [ Curiosity ] 24-Apr-2013 00:00 GMT
User Agent Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:27.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/27.0

Works fine on my WAMP server, but crashes on the live server.

petrosal
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by petrosal » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:06 am

I've turned on maximum error reporting through configuration.
On front end receive error:

Code: Select all

Fatal error: Call to protected method JApplicationSite::route() from context '' in /u01/www/html/index.php on line 46
After Joomla 3.2 update recieve blank page on both front end and back end

Gany
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Gany » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:30 am

This is a pretty serious bug. I tag it as a both Joomla and Akeeba bug.

Joomla 2.5:
If I install Joomla latest version with Akeeba latest version, I get a blank back end but working front end. My solution: un-install Akeeba 3.10.x and install Akeeba 3.7. That solved my problem.

Joomla 3.2.3:
No go at all. Blank front and backend. (When I deploy my backup with Akeeba 3.10.x)
First I tried the same as above: install Akeeba 3.7. Same result: blank pages both ends.
Then I installed Joomla 3.2.0 with Akeeba 3.7. Front end works, back end does not:

Notice: Undefined property: LoginController::$input in E:\wamp\www\aaa\administrator\components\com_login\controller.php on line 38
Added:
Solved this one by deleting both the site and the database. If you don't drop the database Akeeba will throw this error when you log in the backend.

I noticed that the database error in Joomla 3.2.3 is still there. This error is not a serious one, as I understand from the forum. It appeared in Joomla 3.2.2 and is not solved in 3.2.3.

I'm working on WAMP, php 5.3.8
Joomla 3.2.0 stable
Akeeba 3.7.0 stable

Gany
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Gany » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:12 am

Gotcha!

It's a Joomla error, not an Akeeba error. It is the database bug that is not considered important enough to correct immediately:

Very easy fix using phpMyAdmin: If you want to fix the incorrect indication, then edit the entry `version_id` in the table #__schemas from 3.2.3-2014-02-20 to 3.2.3 (only recommended for experts)

Once you make this change there is no need to hit the "Fix" button in the extension manager.

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:02 pm

See release of 3.2.3 and faq. It is a false positive, there is no problem in the database.
You should ingnore the message or apply https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/pull/3249 using patchtester or manually.
Issue with migrating? Include logs/joomla_update.php in your report!
Blank screen? Verify pagesource for HTML code (javascript error)
Installation failing on populating database? Install with set_time_limit(0)
Document your customizations!

vtsalikidis
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by vtsalikidis » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:51 pm

Hello guys...I dont want to open a new topic so i will ask it here...

Is it ''safe'' to update 3.1.5 to 3.2.3?

What i am trying to say, is that i found some topics with problems when trying to update Joomla 3.1.5 to 3.2.3...

I want to update but i dont want to lose my site...Of course, i have already a backup, but errors are always something i am trying to avoid...

Thanks in advance for your replies...

lrazov
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lrazov » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:32 pm

Hi,

I also have similar problem when upgrading from J2.5.19 to J3.2.3. My site has been backed up and restored with Akeeba.

I tried uninstalling Akeeba first before upgrading to J3.2.3, but got the same result as when having Akeeba installed. The result is that after the upgrade I can navigate to the Control Panel and Components, but not the rest. If I attempt to open any other pages, like the Extension Manager, I get some sort of "*Controller*" error depending on a page I'm opening.

For example, if I want to open the Extension Manager, I get:

Notice: Undefined property: InstallerController::$input in /srv/www/htdocs/home/administrator/components/com_installer/controller.php on line 39 Fatal error: Call to a member function get() on a non-object in /srv/www/htdocs/home/administrator/components/com_installer/controller.php on line 39
Or if I access the Global Configuration I get the following:

Fatal error: JControllerBase cannot implement JController - it is not an interface in /srv/www/htdocs/home/libraries/joomla/controller/base.php on line 20 
The front end seems to be working.

I also got an SQL error initially straight after the install, but it seems to let me through to the main Control Panel.

The same behavior happened when I tried upgrading from J2.5.18 to J3.2.2.

Any one found a solution? Thank you.

schneekuh
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by schneekuh » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:23 pm

YES, Backend now works and no error message after login! Many thanks for the tip!!!

easyjet
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by easyjet » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:45 pm

I solved the problem guys!!!!! :D

Everything is generated by Akeeba...

You can:

1) open 2 times the back end in 2 different pages (with your browser)
2) in one of it you can update new Joomla version
3) after that it will be possibile to browse in the backend only in the second page you already opened before
4) so you can go in joomla extension and download the new version of Akeeba
5) just install it
6) after that you can close and open the administrator page as you want!

But the important thing is to have the backend opened on 2 different page.

But the issue is Akeeba

lrazov
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lrazov » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:37 am

I'm not sure what it was (uninstalling Akeeba or following easyjet's suggestion didn't help in my case) but I managed to resolve my installation issue by upgrading from 2.5.18 to 3.0.1 first and after that to 3.2.3 - both through manual upgrade (aka downloading the installation packages and installing them through Extension Manager - not the Joomla Update).

However my happiness didn't last for long, I ran into another issue now - the login module in the front end doesn't work! :(

I can access the back end, but if I use the same credentials in a login module from the front it doesn't work- getting

Warning: Username and password do not match or you do not have an account yet.
I tried resetting passwords, changing user access levels, different browsers, CB login module, Joomla login module - nothing works.

What I noticed through is that if I compare the same passwords in the _users table in 2.5.18 with what's stored in 3.2.3 - they look different (note the same passwords are set up) which is telling me that maybe some different encoding is used in 3.2.3. I tried replacing the values in 3.2.3 with the old ones from 2.5.18 - still no go.

Has anyone experienced this too? I would appreciate your help. Thank you

easyjet
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by easyjet » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:50 am

I saw other topics about this issue: instead to update Akeeba... just uninstall it at all!!
You will fix it!

All the problem is generated by Akeeba in this case...

So: before update Joomla, just uninstall Akeeba

Let me know!

Bye!

nikosdion
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by nikosdion » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:52 pm

The problem with the missing table comes from Joomla! itself. An entire table (and, probably, MUCH more) was not installed during the update. THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM WITH OUR SOFTWARE. IT IS A PROBLEM WITH THE UPGRADE CODE IN JOOMLA.

The person who posted about our software DOES NOT attribute the bug correctly. We did donate our FOF framework to Joomla!. Due to a problem in Joomla!'s packaging (BUT NOT THE PACKAGING OF OUR SOFTWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) installing Joomla! 3.2 ON TOP of an older site with ancient versions of our software, i.e. versions of our software released BEFORE February 2013. This is not a typo. I am talking about versions of our software released before February twenty thirteen, more than a year ago. Oh, yes, we also provided the fix to this issue to the Joomla! project...

The person who said it is a bug with our software made a mistake (and corrected it in his next post). Installing Akeeba Backup 3.7 will BREAK your site for the reason stated above. Regarding his error message, it's thrown by com_login which is part of Joomla! AND HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH OUR SOFTWARE.

The fact that our software has nothing to do with the upgrade problems is shown two posts below where this guy uninstalled Akeeba Backup before upgrading with the same results. The problem he gets regarding JControllerBase stems from third party software which is incompatible with Joomla! 3. We were the first company to implement a workaround for these issues back in the Joomla! 3.0.0 days, OF COURSE this issue IS NOT coming from our software!

The easyjet guy is being outright ridiculous. Without any kind of evidence (not even circumstantial) he declares the update problem an Akeeba bug?! FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! Do you have any sense of reason at all? If your upgrade would fail because of Akeeba Backup then it doesn't matter if you have 2, 3 or 1000000 tabs of your back-end open. If the upgrade fails the site is dead and of course you can't install anything through the back-end. What you write actually proves that Akeeba Backup had no effect to your site and your upgrade never failed! I guess common sense isn't so common after all...

That's the thank you I get for wasting my time offering code free of charge to the Joomla! project. Different people have completely unrelated problems, some idiot says "maybe it's Akeeba" when it has nothing to do with it and the next thing I know you people consider us responsible for all the crap you get from Joomla!? One thing is for sure: I am never going to contribute any more code to Joomla!.

For the record: Our own site (akeebabackup.com) was upgraded from Joomla! 2.5 to 3.2 without as much as a hiccup. The secret? We made sure that EVERYTHING installed on the site was compatible with Joomla! 3.2 PRIOR to the upgrade. That was really easy, as it was running only our own software and JCE. Akeeba Backup took a backup before the upgrade, the upgrade went on, no problems whatsoever. The only thing we had to change was the template (our old template was Joomla! 2.5 only, the new one is Joomla! 3.2 only). All the problems you people get have nothing to do with our software but with you:

* You have ancient versions of software on your site that were never meant to be compatible with Joomla! 3.2. Upgrading your site means that this ancient code is called to run in an unsupported environment. Guess what happens? Ka-boom. It's like trying to run a 1960's car on 100 octane unleaded fuel: not a brilliant idea.

* You have cheap hosts with string CPU / memory / timeout limits which cause the upgrade process to die before it's finished. That's how you end up with missing tables, missing files, old files not deleted and so on.

If you want a smooth upgrade just make sure every single component, plugin, module and template you use is compatible with Joomla! 3.2. Then make sure that you have a decent host – or try the upgrade to a copy of your site. Really, that's all. Stop blaming the software that can actually save your beacon when your upgrade fails and just bloody think what went wrong. And stop spreading FUD. I'm sick and tired of this crap!
Nicholas K. Dionysopoulos
Director, Akeeba Ltd
Blog: https://www.dionysopoulos.me

easyjet
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by easyjet » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:12 pm

Dear nikosdion,

I just posted "how" I fixed the issue...

Because I lost 3 hours to find out a soloution and... it was: in my case it was enough to update Akeeba as I expleined (the 2 different schedule opened: in one update Joomla, then update Akeeba).

And that's it.

In other forum I saw few people solve the problem uninstalling Akeeba.

After that: if You prefer to write Joomla to fix it or send an update to all the users for fix it... great for sure.

But if the people must to fix with a short way... they must to do it.

I'm available for further clarification
Bye

nikosdion
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by nikosdion » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:38 pm

As I explained, this would only happen if you had a version of Akeeba Backup (or any other FOF-based component for that matter) using FOF 1.x. Considering that since February 2013 we published and began using FOF 2.0, which is compatible with FOF 2.0.x and 2.1.x included in Joomla! 3.2, Akeeba Backup or any other FOF-based component does not break your site. Your site will break if you have ancient software installed before the update. See my last two bullet points.

Let me explain this again in simple terms: Akeeba Backup DOES NOT break the update. Having old software installed on your site does. On my part, I do everything humanly possible to prevent this kind of issues. How? I am always trying our software on the latest pre-release (beta) versions of Joomla!, identifying any potential show-stopper issues, working around them and releasing an update, usually on the same day. All you have to do is install the update.
Director, Akeeba Ltd

easyjet
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by easyjet » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:49 pm

Anyway it was necessary to tell how I fixed... for the other users which get the same issue.

Said that I have a couple of questions:

1) why for yours update is not possibile to get some "notice" as we get for the other extensions? Usually it's diplayed a little red point as to say "update available" and you can update the extension...

2) mostly of the forum is about one free template (only one!! In 95% of the cases...). Why don't You write to the devolopper just to say "hi man: please update our version otherwise 3.000 peopole will get the same issue... every month!!!"
They have several topic opened about this story and they can fix it changing the release!!!
In this way they will change the version and... You solve this problem for several users...

I guess it's a good idea...
Thanks
Bye

nikosdion
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by nikosdion » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:59 pm

1. If you ask this question it means that you have not updated to the latest versions of our components. The latest versions, released two weeks ago, are now using the Joomla! extensions updater which allow this feature to be implemented.

The only reason we could not add this feature before March 2014 was that Joomla! 2.5 and 3.1 did not support updates of paid extensions. We contributed the feature to make that possible last summer and it was added in Joomla! 3.2.1. Still we could not use it as it wasn't available in Joomla! 2.5. Then a similar feature was implemented in Joomla! 2.5.19. Now that it was possible to have a common updater for Joomla! 2.5 and 3.2 for both paid and free extensions we immediately used it. Our new version came less than four days after Joomla! 2.5.19 was released. This is how fast our response time is.

2. *sigh* You would be surprised at how many times I have contacted other developers to explain security and compatibility issues with their extensions. To this date I have only met one (1) developer who was willing to let me help him. Besides, your point is rather moot if your template is labelled as being written "for Joomla! 2.5". It's not a bug if it doesn't work with Joomla! 3.2. If he says he supports Joomla! 3.2 with the same package and he doesn't then you, its users, should complain. If it never said that the template you had installed on Joomla! 2.5 is supposed to also work on Joomla! 3.2 we come back to the previous point of having outdated / incompatible software prior to updating from Joomla! 2.5 to 3.2. I feel like we're going in circles.

Maybe a video tutorial will help you much more than my ramblings: http://www.siteground.com/tutorials/joo ... o-joomla3/ Full disclosure: The tutorial is recorded by Joomla! co-founder and tutor Brian Teeman on behalf of SiteGround. I am friends with Brian and the owners of SiteGround but I am not in any way affiliated with them.
Director, Akeeba Ltd

easyjet
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by easyjet » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:18 pm

After that I'll quit: I wanna avoid to bore You.

First of all:

I made the update from the version I found with the template install pack cause it was necessary to use Joomla!!!

So it could be that maybe I found, as sample (I don'rt know the right version number, that's why I'm telling "as sample"), the Version 1 with the install pack. After that no one tell me "man... there is a new version!" and I don't go every day to see if there is another version for each extension in each website I made...
So it could be that from the Version 1 I took the Version 4... And I didn't see the update notice cause You made the new tool for the Version 3 (everything... I repeat.... as sample).
I never used Akeeba before... I found it... so: I didn't checked for the update even because I was not interested!! I had to do that for... use that website...
That was the only one reason!!! Update for use the backend!! Otherwise it was no possibile to use it anymore...
That's it!

So I would like to tell You: "thanks for your extension: it's my fault". But:
1) I never used Akeeba
2) I never asked for the update because I was not interested...
I'm sorry... what can I do... Most of the people I found in the several topics, I guess, have my same way... They didn't update it before to must to do it!!! Forced to do it...

And that's why I'm surprised to read "You have to do so, they have to do so, Joomla have to do so..." It's never happened before...

In short:
the developper, in this case, pay much more attention You can imagine... If you write in their topic they answer nicely, kindly and... they will fix it.
Template is: jf_calla-exteriors
Just try if You wanna take my tip otherwise: good luck... You will get other 200 topics like today...

Everything said in a friendly way.... We are writing for free so I hope You appreciate it!!
Bye

nikosdion
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by nikosdion » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:26 pm

So, let me see if I get this straight. You never used my software. However you came here and asserted that it is my software (which you didn't use) that was causing the update problem on your site and the other people's sites? ...does not compute...
Director, Akeeba Ltd

easyjet
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by easyjet » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:37 pm

I found your software pre-installed...

And, as You know, if you have some conflict it's not depending if You are using or not that component!!!!!! It's is installed... that's it!

And tell me what may I do if I fixed the issue after your update????

I try to make it more easy: please tell me if it's works or not:

1) I found Akeeba pre-installed
2) I never used it
3) I updated Joomla (and other tens of other template without problems! Only in that one!!!!!)
4) after that: disaster... it was no possibile to enter in the back end anymore.
5) run on the forum to try to solve
6) reading here, reading there other 2 forums said "hei there!!!!! The problem is Akeeba!!!!"
7) fantastic! I try to go back (my personal back-up which work perfectly)... finally, into the backend again, I discover Akeeba which "oh yes I remember... I saw it one time the day I installed the template..."
8 update it
9) fix the problem
10) updated the forum saying "hey there it's true!! It's Akeeba the probelm!!" (or better: it's Akeeba with this version and this template... If you prefer!)

In super-short: it was just a terrible waste of time... To handle with this story.

Tell me: if something is wrong... just tell me: I'm available.

But it's not a "terrible thing"...
Just try (again) to update the developper...
See You

nikosdion
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by nikosdion » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:09 pm

OK, now I understand what you mean.

Which is exactly what I've been saying in all of my replies: your problem is that you had outdated software before updating Joomla!. It's really not the developer's fault if you stick with outdated software. As a professional site builder you should know that the first thing you need to do before upgrading Joomla! is take a backup (not necessarily using my software), update everything, take another backup, then upgrade.

Please watch the videos I linked you to. I sincerely think they will help you and everyone else who wants to upgrade Joomla! 2.5 to 3.x. If you can't find the link in my previous posts, it's http://www.siteground.com/tutorials/joo ... o-joomla3/
Director, Akeeba Ltd

easyjet
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by easyjet » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:21 pm

As a professional site builder you should know that the first thing you need to do before upgrading Joomla! is take a backup (not necessarily using my software), update everything, take another backup, then upgrade.
Man belive me: I'm a professional builder of course. And I had totally (but totally) forgot YOUR software because I never used it (I already wrote but no problem: I repeat even 200 times if it's necessary...)

And... anyway (I repeat even this point but please: after that may we stop this topic? It seams like to turn back to the first point every times!!!): I put back again the old Joomla version (I'm professional site builder and I know that is possibile to forget something... And that's why we made the backup before to update!!!!!!), updated Akeeba and fixed the issue...

It easy... why we should argue about it? What's wrong with this story? I'm walking with You nikosdion...

I only told: "guys... if all this issue come out... don't worry: rollback old Joomla version, Update Akeeba and update again Joomla!

Easy, easy, easy... You can just add: "easyjet... thanks to tell to the other user how You fixed the problem!!".

I cannot understand why You want... I don't know??? What can I tell You: You right! It's better for You? But we are on the same railway... So we have both right! Because it's exactly the same point!!!

Please: may we quit with this story?
Thanks!
Bye

faysal230
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by faysal230 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:24 am

I solve this problem with this post : http://cherrypickss.wordpress.com/2014/ ... _messages/

nikosdion
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by nikosdion » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:41 am

That's the standard way to fix database update problems. FYI, if you get the error message as soon as you connect to your site's administrator directory, there's a trick to go directly to the Joomla! extensions manager. Edit the URL in your browser and change it to http://www.example.com/administrator/in ... _installer where http://www.example.com is the URL to your site. Then you can click on Database in the left hand column and on that page click on Fix. This is also handy when an administrator module that only displays in the control panel page blows up and makes your administrator control panel throw a blank page or an Internal Server Error 500 error page.
Director, Akeeba Ltd

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”