Joomla Update doesn't see latest versions

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
artcharity1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joomla Update doesn't see latest versions

Post by artcharity1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:44 pm

I'm trying to upgrade from Joomla 3.2.7 to Joomla 3.7.4 but not getting very far, because the Joomla Update component and the Install extension aren't working the way I understand they're supposed to. Any help would be appreciated. I'd say I'm a novice (or journeyman) rather than a sophisticated user, given the level of discussion in many of these threads.

My Joomla Update page does not recognize that 3.7.4 exists. It reads "No updates available. You already have the latest Joomla version, 3.2.7" I have tried purging the cache in hopes it would shake things up, to no avail. My options are on the original settings. The update server chosen is the recommended one, Long Term Support. (My only thought is, could the URL associated with this choice be out of date? Is there a different URL worth trying?)

With the Update component failing me, I tried to install the upgrade package for 3.7.4 using each of the three methods under Extension Manager: Install. I chose the .zip version of the package from the Joomla.org upgrade webpage (Joomla! 3.7.4 Upgrade Package (.zip)). (I don't understand under what circumstances I would choose one of the other versions, tar.gz or tar.bz2.) When I tried to install from a Package File or URL, the system showed it was working for a few moments then returned to the same screen, with no installation message whatsoever; when I tried to install using the Directory method, I got a warning message (JInstaller: :Install: Cannot find XML setup file) and an error message (Path does not have a valid package). For this method, I had unzipped the file I downloaded from Joomla and placed the complete contents on my Joomla site in a folder with this path: public_html/tmp/upgrade3-7-4.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me in understanding what's going on.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Joomla Update doesn't see latest versions

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:04 pm

I suspect your server is running an old version of php. 3.2.7 is a version for those servers that could not go to 3.3.0.

artcharity1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by artcharity1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:14 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. My hosting service uses PHP 5.4.43. Does that fit the picture? If I were able to upgrade the server to use a more recent version of PHP, would Joomla Update recognize this change and offer me a more recent update of Joomla?

artcharity1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by artcharity1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:22 pm

A quick addition: My hosting service allows me to upgrade to PHP 7 from PHP 5.4 or 5.6. I have it set to a single php.ini file. The literature on site suggests there's a potential for backwards compatibility issues if I upgrade. I just want to know if I could do any permanent damage by taking the leap and dealing with incompatibility as I go.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:41 pm

Php 5.6 should be OK for all versions of Joomla. 7.0 or 7.1 only work with 3.5 or later.

First post the FPA http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=621&t=582860

https://docs.joomla.org/J3.x:Installing ... quirements

You can go to 3.4.8 or 3.5.1 using the extensions installer.
https://downloads.joomla.org/cms/joomla ... format=zip

artcharity1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by artcharity1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:45 pm

Thanks once again. I'll look through these docs.

artcharity1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by artcharity1 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:28 pm

I tried to upgrade to 3.5.1 using the extensions installer but got the same error I did when trying to update directly to 3.7.4: "Cannot find XML setup file." I feel like I must be doing one of the steps incorrectly.

(1) I took the package you linked, in your previous post, and extracted it into a folder "upgrade3-5-1".
(2) I uploaded the contents of that folder, keeping the same folder name, to my Joomla site, so that they were sitting in the folder public_html/tmp/upgrade3-5-1.
(3) From the extensions manager: install page, I chose the "install from directory" tab, stated my path (/home2/arthurch/public_html/tmp/upgrade3-5-1) and pressed install.

What am I doing wrong? Am I supposed to write or paste in a brief XML setup file? (If so, what would go in it?) Am I supposed to upload the zipped package file and let the extension manager unzip it?

The situation has all the earmarks that I'm doing something very simple in the wrong way.

Thanks for your patience in helping a novice. If nothing jumps out at you, I'm just going to have to go back to the drawing board.

fakilby
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by fakilby » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:01 am

I'm having the same issue. I hope someone will be able to help soon.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:31 am

Use Components->Joomla Update, not Extensions Installer.

fakilby
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by fakilby » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:55 pm

Unfortunately, Joomla Update only let's me update to 3.8, which crashes on me. I'm trying to update to 3.7.5.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”