Users have strange admin rights after migrate from 2.5.28 to 3.5.1

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
Nibiru
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Users have strange admin rights after migrate from 2.5.28 to 3.5.1

Post by Nibiru » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:35 pm

I'm a bit late in this update. I have a site that started 8 years ago on 1.5. It was migrated to 2.5 and I have only got around to migrating it to 3.5 over xmas

But over the past six months I have prepared for it. I slimmed the site down, and only have the 2 plugins I need.
Kunena
Kide chat

The update process seemed to go well no errors. I then updated everything to the latest version and then went about checking everything.

Thats when I noticed that everyone in the kide chat had admin colour. I then checked the forum and everyone was displayed as admin and had admin rights. Looking in the backend shows the correct user as registered.

To fix this in kunena the acl in the kunena was changed to denied but doing the same with the kide chat doesn't work.

I'm also getting complaints from people receiving admin emails.

I've never had these issues before and have a sub domain using kunena and the same template that runs the way it should.

Does anyone know whats going on?

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Users have strange admin rights after migrate from 2.5.28 to 3.5.1

Post by leolam » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:16 pm

First of all I have no understanding why you have updated from 2.5.28 to Joomla 3.5 where you can go straight from Joomla 2.5 to Joomla 3.8.3

You have incompatible extensions for sure. Kitechat had it latest release in November 2014 and has never been updated on the JED so for sure you will be certain that this is not compatible

I am also sure that many of your extensions are not up-to-date (latest versions) which will break your upgrade. The only thing you can do is roll back to your previous version and have a very good look at my Practical Guide for this mini-migration and follow all steps viewtopic.php?f=710&t=793171 (it has only over 246K views !)

Also post the output of viewtopic.php?f=621&t=582860

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

Nibiru
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Nibiru » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:46 am

Thanks for the reply Leo.
I followed your guide when doing this. You state "Joomla 2.5.28 can only be migrated in 2-steps at the moment. First migrate to 3.5.1 . You then need to upgrade from 3.5.1 to the latest 3.x through the one click installer"
That is what I did. After migrating to 3.5.1 I then used the 1 click installer which gave 3.6. The next day the backend said there was an update for 3.8 so I updated. I went from 3.6 - 3.8 skipped 3.7.

I will look into getting the output you suggest.

Nibiru
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Nibiru » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:02 am

I found the below topic helpful.

viewtopic.php?t=935901#p3432401

what I changed was asset table root rules in the ###_assets database.

the site looked like this

Code: Select all

{"core.login.site":{"6":1,"2":1,"1":1},"core.login.admin":{"6":1,"2":0,"1":0},"core.login.offline":{"6":1,"2":0,"1":0},"core.admin":{"8":1,"1":0,"2":0},"core.manage":{"7":1,"2":0},"core.create":{"6":1,"3":1,"2":0},"core.delete":{"6":1,"2":0},"core.edit":{"6":1,"4":1,"2":0},"core.edit.state":{"6":1,"5":1,"2":0},"core.edit.own":{"6":1,"3":1,"2":0},"core.edit.value":{"2":0},"core.options":{"2":0}}
I changed it to

Code: Select all

{"core.login.site":{"6":1,"2":1},"core.login.admin":{"6":1},"core.login.offline":[],"core.admin":{"8":1},"core.manage":{"7":1},"core.create":{"6":1,"3":1},"core.delete":{"6":1},"core.edit":{"6":1,"4":1},"core.edit.state":{"6":1,"5":1},"core.edit.own":{"6":1,"3":1}}
I then changed the acl in kunena and kide back to inherit and all seems to be working correctly.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:22 am

Asset table errors are easy solved with ACL PWT https://extensions.perfectwebteam.com/p ... aclmanager

We run this after each upgrade for all our clients sites we maintain.

Thanks for pointing me to that line in my guide. To clarify if you use the cheap and versatile SP Upgrade you are done in a few minutes and you can go straight to 3.8.x

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”