I am experiencing prestanda issues with the module "user status" after upgrading to joomla 3.8.5

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x? Please consider the availability of third-party templates and extensions when deciding which Joomla version to use.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
carramone
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

I am experiencing prestanda issues with the module "user status" after upgrading to joomla 3.8.5

Postby carramone » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:02 am

Hi
After I upgraded to joomla 3.8.5 from 3.8.4 I started experiencing prestanda issues in the backend. Frontend was unaffected. It could take several seconds to login, sometimes I even got timed out. I checked the debug and found out that mod_logged took 8737ms to load and mod_status took 26880ms(!).
When I disabled the mod_status my backend went back to normal.

Has anyone else experienced this or is it a freak error? The thing is that I have several other joomla sites with similar setup and none of them are affected with this problem. I have tried to reinstall the core files as well as disabling almost every third party plugin but without any progress. The only thing that helps is disabling the mod_users.

I'm running joomla 3.8.5 on
nginx, maria db, php 7.1
Last edited by toivo on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: moved to Migrating and Upgrading to 3.x

carramone
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: I am experiencing prestanda issues with the module "user status" after upgrading to joomla 3.8.5

Postby carramone » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:50 am

I have checked my database and I found out that the sessions table was bloated with 206000 rows(!) adding up to a total binary size of >350mb(!). Needless to say, I emptied the table and now my backend is fast as lightening again. So far, so good. But HOW did my sessions table get this big and will it happen again?

I use database as my sessions handler @60 minutes. I believe this is quite a moderate setting and it shouldn't cause my sessions table to bloat like this.

Anyway, if anyone experience similar lag in the backend and the problem is amended by disabling "user status" then emptying the _sessions table might be in order.

If anyone have any clues as to why the table got bloated in the first place, please feel free to enlighten me.

toivo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: I am experiencing prestanda issues with the module "user status" after upgrading to joomla 3.8.5

Postby toivo » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:26 am

The following posts in the 3.8.5 Discussion topic and Github explain what happened:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=958979#p3512585
https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/is ... -363508044
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator
my first programs were assembled and run in 16KB :)
troubleshooting smtp and other articles https://talikka.com/joomla

carramone
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Postby carramone » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:43 am

That is absolutely wonderful Toivo, thank you so much!

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”