Site Crashed While Updating from 3.6 to 3.9

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
mitchellreels
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Site Crashed While Updating from 3.6 to 3.9

Post by mitchellreels » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:11 pm

Dear Members,

I do pray someone can help us. The site is http:/www.mitchellreelmuseum.com and as I was upgrading from Joomla 3.6 to 3.9, it just stopped, gave me error code 1054 and went to the white screen of death! That's on the admin section but the site tries to load but on several pages, it just stops trying. I do have recent backups but I can't get in to load it...

So what I need is "how do you get in to the admin section with the White screen?"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All The Best,
Wallace Carney
Last edited by imanickam on Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved the topic from the forum General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x to the forum Migrating/Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: Site Crashed While Updating from 3.6 to 3.9

Post by sozzled » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:38 pm

G'day, @mitchellreels, and welcome to the forum.

Usually an "error 1054" indicates a database problem: see https://stackoverflow.com/questions/192 ... field-list (as an example). The example I've given may not be the specific reason in your case.

mitchellreels wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:11 pm
I do have recent backups but I can't get in to load it ...
This is excellent news to read (that you have recent backups); many people don't even have that much! I am assuming that you made these backups with Akeeba Backup, yes? If that is the case then you don't need to "get in to [the now-unworkable backend of your website]" to recover the backup media and use it to restore your site to the situation it was in before you attempted to update from J! 3.6.something.

While it's great to have backups of a website, J! 3.6 is not that "recent" (J! 3.6.0 was released nearly 2½ years ago and there have been 27 releases of Joomla in that time). The problems may not necessarily be due to attempting to undertake an overdue update of the site software but there may be other factors involved including whether the site—the total "package" of software used by the site—is compatible with the environment within which the site is hosted. More about that later, I suspect.
Last edited by sozzled on Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mitchellreels
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mitchellreels » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:14 pm

G'day Sozzled,

I just ordered a Steak from Outback Steakhouse. LOL

Yes the backup is Akeeba and the Joomla version 3.6 is all I remember. Is there a way to find this information out when not being able to get to the back office? What do I do Next?

Thanks for your help,
Wallace Carney

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:30 pm

Cheers, mate.

If you've been using Akeeba Backup, chances are that the backup media has been placed in its default location, i.e. the folder ../administrator/components/com_akeeba/backup. You should be able to find several large files named site-<your-domain>-yyyymmdd-hhmmss.jpa.

This is the recommended approach to restore the site using one of these files:
  1. Store the file in a safe place (e.g. download it via FTP to your PC)
  2. Delete all the files in your site's filesystem
  3. DROP the database tables associated with your website (using phpMyAdmin in your webhost cPanel).
  4. Upload the [.JPA] file (that you saved in step 1), via FTP, to the root folder of your site's filesystem
  5. Upload the file kickstart.php (obtainable from Akeeba's website) to the root folder of your site's filesystem,
  6. Point your browser to <your-domain>/kickstart.php and follow the prompts.
All up, less than 30 minutes to recover your site from the backup media (all things being equal, of course).

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:49 pm

Joomla 3.6.0 does not update directly to J3.9.0 ... it updates to 3.6.5. Also before updating Joomla the Joomla Update Component must be updated.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:51 pm

Thanks, @Webdongle. That's probably a matter to be addressed after restoring the site to whatever version of J! 3.6 was in place before the troubles began. :)

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:08 pm

Often 3rd party extensions can cause an update to fail. All 3rd party extensions should be checked (not all use Joomla's update notification). The method in viewtopic.php?f=710&t=956702 can be used if 3rd party extensions are interfering with the update process.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

mitchellreels
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mitchellreels » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:32 pm

Webdongle and Sozzled,

Thank you for your assistance.

If you've been using Akeeba Backup, chances are that the backup media has been placed in its default location, i.e. the folder ../administrator/components/com_akeeba/backup. You should be able to find several large files named site-<your-domain>-yyyymmdd-hhmmss.jpa.

This is the recommended approach to restore the site using one of these files:
  1. Store the file in a safe place (e.g. download it via FTP to your PC)
  2. Delete all the files in your site's filesystem
  3. DROP the database tables associated with your website (using phpMyAdmin in your webhost cPanel).
  4. Upload the [.JPA] file (that you saved in step 1), via FTP, to the root folder of your site's filesystem
  5. Upload the file kickstart.php (obtainable from Akeeba's website) to the root folder of your site's filesystem,
  6. Point your browser to <your-domain>/kickstart.php and follow the prompts.
All up, less than 30 minutes to recover your site from the backup media (all things being equal, of course).

I wish I could understand how to do what you suggested but I'm new at this ans my knowledge is limited. It looks like I need to hire someone. Any suggestions?

All The Best,

Wallace Carney :eek:

PS: This post sucks...LOL

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:42 pm

mitchellreels wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:32 pm
It looks like I need to hire someone. Any suggestions?
If you're interested in a web developer for hire, I suggest you use the Professional Joomla Services forum category for that purpose and take things from there.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”