Old Site / No Updates / New Template

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
KosherKathy
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Old Site / No Updates / New Template

Post by KosherKathy » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:32 am

Good Evening,

I am new to Joomla and I thought I knew something about websites, but I have been humbled by this job.

I have a client that's website is no longer viable. . .
Without updating the site and a few other key components, the site is limping.

I started the update process with a new template (of the clients choice), but there are red flags on the home page that state the following:
- 7 Extension Updates are available
- Joomla 3.9.8 is available
- Error
We have detected that your server is using PHP 5.6.40 which is obsolete and no longer receives official security updates by its developers. The Joomla! Project recommends upgrading your site to PHP 7.1 or later which will receive security updates at least until 2019-12-01. Please ask your host to make PHP 7.1 or a later version the default version for your site. If your host is already PHP 7.1 ready please enable PHP 7.1 on your site's root and 'administrator' directories – typically you can do this yourself through a tool in your hosting control panel, but it's best to ask your host if you are unsure.

Being that I am so new. If I do any of these updates will it wipe the rest of the website?
I am not the original creator and the information that was used is gone.

I am sorry to say that I am over my head and would appreciate any help.

PS - I started on the new template and updates, but nothing is changing . . .

Please help!

Thank you

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Old Site / No Updates / New Template

Post by imanickam » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:23 am

KosherKathy wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:32 am
- Error
We have detected that your server is using PHP 5.6.40 which is obsolete and no longer receives official security updates by its developers. The Joomla! Project recommends upgrading your site to PHP 7.1 or later which will receive security updates at least until 2019-12-01. Please ask your host to make PHP 7.1 or a later version the default version for your site. If your host is already PHP 7.1 ready please enable PHP 7.1 on your site's root and 'administrator' directories – typically you can do this yourself through a tool in your hosting control panel, but it's best to ask your host if you are unsure.
This is not an error; rather, it is a warning message to alert the user to the fact that PHP 5.6.40 will not receive any more security updates. In case, if there is a vulnerability detected in 5.640, it will not be fixed.

Please review the page https://downloads.joomla.org/technical-requirements to know the minimum requirements to run Joomla! 3.x.

Generally, it is recommended that the updates to a site are done in a separate environment than the production site. Once tested successfully, the updates could be implemented in the production environment.

If the site is working now, take a complete backup of the site (both files and database content) before proceeding further.

Updates will not break the site, per se. However, there could be incompatible extensions that may not work as expected or even produce errors.

I would suggest updating your Joomla to the latest version (ie 3.9.8) first. After this update the extensions one by one. Make sure they are compatible with the latest version of Joomla!

When you install a template, it does not change the look and feel of your site. You have to make the new template's style as the default site. Then only you would see the new template in action. Also, be informed that the module positions of the current template and the new template may not be the same. So, you have to change the modules' module positions, if need be.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Translations Coordination Team | Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team

Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”