My entire website is gone while installing 3.x

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
andresgillis
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

My entire website is gone while installing 3.x

Post by andresgillis » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:06 am

Hello all, I hadn't used my website in a while, but wanted to update to the newer version without knowing I had to do a backup or anything else. It downloaded correctly but once I tried to run it, it completely ruined my website and cant even access the menu in joomla, as if it got completely deleted.

This is the error I got once everything went crazy:

Table 'qsa189.#__postinstall_messages' doesn't exist SQL=SHOW FULL COLUMNS FROM

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Last edited by toivo on Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: moved from 3.x Installation

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: My entire website is gone while installing 3.x

Post by AMurray » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:23 am

[Edited and Updated Post]
I'm not sure if have confused with "installing" and "updating" Joomla - if you have an existing site, all you needed to do was update Joomla from within the Administrator area. What you have done appears to be to copy new version files over the top of the existing files, but without having performed the associated database updates that would usually be done had you done the update the standard way.

What version of Joomla are you running (the current release is 3.9.24)? Can you please run the FPA (Forum Post Assistant) utility and post the report results to a reply on this thread? Please visit https://forumpostassistant.github.io/docs/ for details.

1. Lesson learned: Backup first! The Joomla update component warns you doing this about this.

2. Lesson Learned: update Joomla through the Update component.

3. Copying over the files is half the job. There are database updates that need to be completed, and when you copied the files, the database was not updated.

4. This script might help with (3) above. https://gist.github.com/mbabker/d7bfb4e ... 3607f89281. Copy the script code to a txt file, save it as [filename].php, then upload that file to the joomla folder on your hosting. Run the file from your browser. It should do the database corrections.

I'm not guaranteeing (4) will work; but it is a possibly-likely-to-work-solution. Without a backup the only other solution is to start the site from scratch. Did you read the "update" instructions concerning updating Joomla (for whatever version you're working with)?
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

abernyte
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by abernyte » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:23 am

If all else fails, your Host maybe able to restore your site to the pre-update state.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:04 pm

@andresgillis do you have a website link url to your site?

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:24 pm

Regarding host restoring site, on my web host, they have a cPanel backup utility that is a very easy backup tool. It's a do it yourself type but it allows you to backup files/directories and databases or pick and choose what you backup.

Not saying all hosts have that. But you should have the basic cPanel database backup at the very least available to you (cPanel used as one example - your host may use an equivalent hosting administration system).
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:34 pm

Did you install a fresh Joomla over an existing site?
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:32 pm

So one time forum post and if my site dissappear I would be active and come back to discuss and comment. ???

No feedback and important no url. :pop

This more like again a Wordpress tribe discouraging Joomla attack again... :-\

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:01 pm

AMurray wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:24 pm
Regarding host restoring site, on my web host, they have a cPanel backup utility that is a very easy backup tool. It's a do it yourself type but it allows you to backup files/directories and databases or pick and choose what you backup.

Not saying all hosts have that. But you should have the basic cPanel database backup at the very least available to you (cPanel used as one example - your host may use an equivalent hosting administration system).
He has no backup. He installed Joomla 3.x over a 2.5 version so the site is gone, finished, auf wiedersehen. Only option is to ask the host if they have a backup that can be restored

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”