Could not connect to the database. Connector returned number: Could not connect to MySQL server.

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
easther94
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Could not connect to the database. Connector returned number: Could not connect to MySQL server.

Post by easther94 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:21 am

Hello. I am trying to upgrade Joomla Version and have uploaded all files. But I am getting this error when trying to setting up the configuration and database:

Can anyone help me to solve this.
Last edited by toivo on Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: moved from 3.x Installation

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Could not connect to the database. Connector returned number: Could not connect to MySQL server.

Post by toivo » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:40 am

Welcome to the Joomla forum!

Which version were you upgrading from?

easther94 wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:21 am
Hello. I am trying to upgrade Joomla Version and have uploaded all files.
Can you please explain in detail what you uploaded and where?

The correct method to upgraded Joomla 3.x is to use Components - Joomla! Update.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

easther94
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Could not connect to the database. Connector returned number: Could not connect to MySQL server.

Post by easther94 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:48 am

I uploaded it in web hosting (Plesk). Replacing the previous version of Joomla because our website was hacked. Then our service provider recommend to upgrade the version. I am not so familiar with this and still trying to explore. Below is the error:

easther94
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by easther94 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:49 am

Joomla version 3.9.27

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:54 am

Those settings come from the cPanel or Plesk, provided by your host, not from Global Configuration in Joomla. Check the details with their support team.

The database type in 3.x is usually MySQLi, as suggested in the screenshot.

If the website was hacked, many more actions would be required. More information in the sticky topics of the 3.x Security forum.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”