No access after PHP update! Topic is solved

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
jdmoet3
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

No access after PHP update!

Post by jdmoet3 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:41 pm

Hi,

I have been advised to update my PHP version from 7.3.30 on my Joomla 3.9.8 installation, to 7.4.23. However, when I do this via my hosting company, I cannot then logon as administrator.

Most advice says to update my Joomla installation, but in Control Panel, it says my version is up-to-date. I do not see an option to 3.10.0.

Also, I notice Joomla 4 is available, should I just update to Joomla 4 instead of 3.10.0?

If I did, could I simply import my ecommerce database (j2store) into Joomla 4? Or would I need to update all of the plugins, templates, Modules, PHP versions etc?

Many Thanks.
Jay
Last edited by jdmoet3 on Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdmoet3
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: No access after PHP update!

Post by jdmoet3 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:54 pm

PS. This is the error message I get when attempting to login as administrator.

Deprecated: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/customer/www/noordinarybookshop.co.uk/public_html/libraries/src/Application/AdministratorApplication.php on line 126

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by gws » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:05 pm

Revert your php to 7.3.0 and then update your site and extensions to their latest versions, use J 3.10.2 and then update php. make a backup of your site first.

jdmoet3
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jdmoet3 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:25 am

gws wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:05 pm
Revert your php to 7.3.0 and then update your site and extensions to their latest versions, use J 3.10.2 and then update php. make a backup of your site first.
Thanks for your advice. I will give that a go.
JD

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:17 pm

Make a backup
Update your 3rd party extensions
then
Components >>> Joomla update ... Options ... check update channel is set 'Default'

If still No Avail
Download Joomla! 3.10.2 Upgrade Package (.zip) https://downloads.joomla.org/cms/joomla ... format=zip
then
Components >>> Joomla update ... Upload&Update (tab)
Upload and install the update package
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

jdmoet3
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jdmoet3 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:51 pm

Hi,

I have done all of the above and encountered a separate issue I cant solve.

When I attempt to update to 3.10.2 from 3.9.8 I get this error.

"AJAX Loading Error: Not Found"

I have tried everything on The Joomlashack Blog
https://www.joomlashack.com/blog/joomla ... und-error/,

but no changes to the error.

Does anyone have any other advice?
Many Thanks

jdmoet3
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

ERROR: AJAX Loading Error: Forbidden

Post by jdmoet3 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:10 pm

Hi,

When I attempt to update to Joomla version 3.10.2 from 3.9.8 I get this error.

"AJAX Loading Error: Not Found"

I have tried everything on The Joomlashack Blog
https://www.joomlashack.com/blog/joomla ... und-error/,

but now the error is

"AJAX Loading Error: Forbidden".

Does anyone have any other advice?
Many Thanks
Last edited by imanickam on Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Merged the topic/post with the topic https://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=710&t=988619. In the future, please do not create duplicate posts as it is against the Forum Rules.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:52 pm

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: AJAX error: not found

Post by sozzled » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:40 pm

Here we go again: another "AJAX error: not found" issue.

See viewtopic.php?t=983126.

Also see How to Solve the Joomla Message: "AJAX Loading Error: Not Found" and viewtopic.php?t=974228#p3579787 (possibly).

jdmoet3
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jdmoet3 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:27 am

Webdongle wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:52 pm
https://forumpostassistant.github.io/docs/ please
I have been trying to get this to work to send my site details, but that does work either :( .
The 404 error is page cant be found. I followed the advice here viewtopic.php?t=958107 and copied the fpa-en.php to both the server root and the public_html folder, but still 404 error page not found error.

Just to recap:
- I was told to update my PHP.
- When I did, I could not log in as administrator.
- Was advised to update Joomla from 3.9.8 to 3.10.2.
- Then got Ajax forbidden message
- Now I can't get fpa-en.php to work.

I'm so frustrated, I feel like giving up!!!

I've checked the permission on the files and used Akeeba Tools to Fix permissions. Most of the files are 755, but the configuration file and fpa-en.php are 644 (See attachment). I've read it should be 444. Would this be the issue?
fpa-en.php.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jdmoet3
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: AJAX error: not found

Post by jdmoet3 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:09 am

sozzled wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:40 pm
Here we go again: another "AJAX error: not found" issue.

See viewtopic.php?t=983126.

Also see How to Solve the Joomla Message: "AJAX Loading Error: Not Found" and viewtopic.php?t=974228#p3579787 (possibly).
I've looked at and read both of these. The second one I tried earlier. After I tried all the options the error message changed from AJAX: Not loaded to AJAX Forbidden

jdmoet3
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jdmoet3 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:19 am

gws wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:05 pm
I've managed to upgrade my PHP to 7.4.24 and I can still log in as administrator. This was done by going to PHP variables and turning display_errors to 'off'

At least one issue sorted. Now to update Joomla!

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:34 pm

Sounds like a bad Host. Your Host isn't gddy is it?

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:42 am

Webdongle wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:34 pm
Actually I'd be leaning towards Site Ground - its new Site Tools. That screenshot looks exactly as I see it in my hosting (with SG).

If it is Site Ground, they are progressively removing PHP 7.3 from their servers anyway, given that 7.3.x will be EOL next month (Nov 2021). Their default 'managed' PHP version is 7.4.x so can't label them "bad" for using up to date PHP (regardless of the other issues, which may be caused by the need to enabled certain PHP extensions for the new versoin).

To the OP: the fpa-en.php needs to be in the same folder where Joomla is installed, that would normally be "public_html" (or equivalent) or a sub-folder like public_html/your-web/. I would check the file permissions - 755 for folders.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

jdmoet3
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jdmoet3 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:33 pm

It Is with SiteGround. So I guess thats good?

jdmoet3
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jdmoet3 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:34 pm

AMurray wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:42 am
Webdongle wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:34 pm
Actually I'd be leaning towards Site Ground - its new Site Tools. That screenshot looks exactly as I see it in my hosting (with SG).

If it is Site Ground, they are progressively removing PHP 7.3 from their servers anyway, given that 7.3.x will be EOL next month (Nov 2021). Their default 'managed' PHP version is 7.4.x so can't label them "bad" for using up to date PHP (regardless of the other issues, which may be caused by the need to enabled certain PHP extensions for the new versoin).

To the OP: the fpa-en.php needs to be in the same folder where Joomla is installed, that would normally be "public_html" (or equivalent) or a sub-folder like public_html/your-web/. I would check the file permissions - 755 for folders.
I've checked the permission on the files and used Akeeba Tools to Fix permissions. Most of the files are 755, but the configuration file and fpa-en.php are 644 (See attachment). I've read it should be 444. Would this be the issue?

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: What is preventing the FPA from working?

Post by sozzled » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:53 pm

What is preventing you—what errors or other symptoms are you experiencing—when you attempt to use the FPA? File/folder permissions should have no impact on the ability (or inability) to use the FPA apart from the 404 error? There may be other reasons, such as a redirection rule implemented in your .htaccess file, perhaps, but that's just a wild guess.

Did you place the file fpa-en.php in website's root folder (i.e. in the same folder as the file configuration.php) for the affected website?

Did you enter in your browser's address: http(s)://your-domain.something/fpa-en.php ???

(I didn't ask for the FPA report. I don't know if the FPA report will help or not. I am only responding to this topic now because the issue was mentioned.)

jdmoet3
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jdmoet3 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:01 am

Hi Everyone,

I have tried everything I know to get this to work, but no joy. See attached image for confirmation that I have the fpa-en.ph file in the same folder as the file configuration.php. But I get an 404 error message.

I am completely lost on what to do. One issue just leads to another! I managed to update the extensions OK, no problem, but still can't update to 3.10.2 due to this AJAX loading error:Forbidden error.

What are my option?
  • Upload Joomla 4 and start again?
    Change platforms? - would still need to start from scratch
If I did start all over again with Joomla 4, could I upload the saved database from my current site? Is that a big and complicated job?

I'm just lost now. No idea what to do next. The simplest things just dont work on Joomla for me :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:08 pm

A forbidden error is caused by a badly configured host. The mod-security php module is ofte the culprit. Contact your host and have them to examine the server logs to find the culprit.

jdmoet3
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jdmoet3 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:16 pm

Update:
I contacted my host again and they advised me to update (or disable) all my extensions. I had 2 that would not update (Accordeon Menu CK v2.3.3 and j2store v2...). I had to delete the Accordeon extension manually as I ended up with the newer v3.2.0 and this old v2.3.3.

The j2store extension was a subscription that wasnt renewed, but I found a patch hidden on their website and updated with that. Afterwards, I had no more outstanding extension updates on the site.

So I tried again on the 7th Jan... again I got the same AJAX: forbidden error.

Today I contacted my host again to request they fix the issue. They asked what the AJAX error was, so I went through the update process to check the wording....and.... you guested it.... Joomla UPDATED!!!

I now have Joomla 3.10.4 running on my site.

I can't explain what happened, but all is good now... well at least until I update to Joomla 4!!!

Thanks for all the advice.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”