Update to 3.10.2 and PHP 8.0 blanks out some websites

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
nwjh
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Update to 3.10.2 and PHP 8.0 blanks out some websites

Post by nwjh » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:31 am

This evening I went through my websites, updating them to J! 3.10.2 (from 3.10.1). When I was about to start working on the first website, as message was there about having a deprecated version of PHP. So while later sites were updating, I went to the host site and updated all my sites to run PHP 8.0.

I found that two of the eight updated sites did not appear in browsers, simply giving a completely blank page. The other 6 were fine (noting that one is down for maintenance long term). Looking through the forum and noting some issues with PHP versions, I went back and changed the PHP version for the two problem sites to PHP 7.3, and everything re-appeared in the browser as it should be.

As PHP 7.3 is still an OK version, I'm not worried, but is there something in J! 3.10.2 that doesn't play nicely with PHP 8.0? Clearly it isn't a universal problem, and one of the two problem sites was also down for maintenance, but I'm curious as I'll doubtless have to go to PHP 8 eventually.

Anyone have any ideas about or experience with this issue?

Thanks,

Bill.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Update to 3.10.2 and PHP 8.0 blanks out some websites

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:41 am

Don't you have php 7.4?

abernyte
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by abernyte » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:48 am

The issue is not Joomla but a third party template or extension which is not php8 compatible. You will need to update all your third party stuff that you use or as Per said use php7.4 for now.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:02 am

abernyte wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:48 am
The issue is not Joomla but a third party template or extension which is not php8 compatible. You will need to update all your third party stuff that you use or as Per said use php7.4 for now.
As said check that your extensions are php 8 (9) compatible for the future if update. Its not a Joomla 3.10.2 issue and I run php 8.0.10 without problem at several hosts. And check with your host if they have update all php modules in their settings too. Thats a sloppy host environment that not have many customers ie Wordpress users on php 8 so they are not up to date with php 8 yet..

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”