Language related

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
madesign
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Language related

Post by madesign » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:16 pm

Hello,

I have article in different languages. So far the multi language settings works well, also the associations. Now the problem. When i link to an article (social network for example) it seams i can't let the language open so that depending on the browser settings the viewer will see the article in his specific language. Any way to resolve this? Like linking to the homepage where the language changes depending of the viewers language settings. I want the same for link to an article, possible?

Regards, Michael
Last edited by imanickam on Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved the topic from the forum General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x to the forum Languages - Joomla! 3.x

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Language related

Post by Webdongle » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:36 am

'System - Language Filter ' Plugin ... Language Selection for new Visitors setting default is 'Site language'
Looks like it may be the answer ???
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

madesign
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by madesign » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:39 am

That is set like i said and works so far when someone opens the home page but doesn't work for a specific article.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:42 am

madesign wrote:That is set like i said and works....
No you said " So far the multi language settings works well" ... not which settings you have set.
... but doesn't work for a specific article
If menu item is set to that Article then that Article will show ... so whatever language that Article is written in then that will be seen (unless you have an extension that auto translates the language of the Article.

The language settings don't change the language the Article is written in ... they direct the browser to an Article.
e.g. if Article with ID #27 is written in German then when ever that Article is displayed it will be in German. If a browser displays it in English then Article with ID #27 is not being displayed ... the browser has been directed to an Article (of a different ID) that has been written in English. (unless you have a 3rd party extension that auto translates the Article with ID #27).

This thread will be moved to the correct forum soon and someone there will explain it better than I can.

madesign
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by madesign » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:42 pm

"depending on the browser settings the viewer will see the article in his specific language" and no i don't wanted an automatic translation or a extension for it. That's not what i ask for.
Each article is a article of his own in his own language, association is set, language plugin is set, switcher is available and language selection is set by browser language but the moment i publish a link to an article the automatic language detection doesn't work anymore.
Example article in Spanish http://www.linatango.com/index.php/de/b ... igre-delta
the article also exist and is associated with an article in German and English but when you open the link the article will always open in spanish.
Last edited by madesign on Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:28 pm

madesign wrote:"depending on the browser settings the viewer will see the article in his specific language" ....
No that is not correct if the Article is written in German then that Article will display in German regardless of the language of the browser.

I will explain it again. If Article with ID #27 is written in German then the database field holds the text ... when Article with ID #27 is called by the browser then the text in the database field is displayed. Because the text in the database field is in German then that is what is displayed in the browser.

If the default browser language is English and the Article with ID #27 is called then German will be displayed. If English is being displayed then it is not Article with ID #27 ... it is displaying Another Article (one that was written in English).

madesign
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by madesign » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:35 pm

That was the question in first place. How do i let the language unset (open) for the viewer?
And what you said is not quit true since it works for the homepage which links also to an article in different languages.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:57 pm

I have reread your OP
  1. You have top level Categories set to the different languages ?
  2. You have Articles set to the language they are written in and assigned to the correct Category ?
  3. You have menus set to each language and the menu items are set to the correct Articles relevant to their language?
Then
If the language of the visiting browser matches any defined in your menus the menu of that language will be shown ... clicking a menu item will display an Article of that language
If the language of the visiting browser doesn't match any defined in your menus the menu of the site language will be shown ... clicking a menu item will display an Article of the site language.
If not then
Either the the menu item points to the wrong Article(i.e. an Article written in a different language ... or ... you have not set the language correctly in the Categories/Articles/Mus/Menu items.

A mistake that is often made is:
Users write the Articles in one language and think that by setting the Menus/menu items(etc) to a set language that the visiting browser will display those Articles.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:23 am

Looking at this site, I can see already some mistakes in the structure. For example top level categories per language.

All works fine as concerning
where all is tagged as should and associations are set correctly.
But it is not the case for something like
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

madesign
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by madesign » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:35 pm

Sorry, i was a week in the mountains.

You said with this link "http://www.linatango.com/index.php/es/h ... tacion-101" all is ok but this is exactly the problem. The link leads always to the Spanish version and what i want is link to a room but the language unselected. So the visiter get's the room in his browser language or default.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:32 pm

Then set the menu item to Spanish
Next create the Article in the default Language and create a menu item for it set the language to the language that is your default
For each other Language create Articles in those Articles and create menu item for each with the correct language setting.
Don't forget you need a Category for each language

Munch
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Munch » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:04 am

May I just get in here, as I think I understand what madesign is referring to:

I have the two menus, one for each language.
Categories for both languages (in different parent categories) but with the same alias.
Articles in both languages, assigned two their correct categories.
Associations are correctly set between articles (lang 1 & 2) and categories (lang 1 & 2).
Language plugin is set to browser settings, and the switcher works too.

Now, if you copy the URL of an article in language 1 and post it on Facebook, people which click on this link will get to this URL in language 1, although they have set their browser to language 2.
They still have to click on the language switcher to see the article in their browser language 2. I have this setup here, and I can confirm the behaviour madesign is speaking of.

This is an unnecessary step and I would love to get a workaround for that. Just think of US and UK and their different currencies:
If you are trying to sell something for example and post the link to your product site on Facebook, it would be quite inconvenient to post the same thing twice in english, just with a different link (one for the UK article and one for US article).

I know there are plugins like easy language, so you may use the language code in the text of an article, but this is just a help for minor differencies.
If you ad specific ads, polls in the sidebar, affiliate links, etc. for specific languages, you wish that the visitor lands on the right page without having to set the language manually and without additional plugins. I too thought that Joomla's associations take care of that, but they don't.

I think that was the question.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:27 am

The browser settings are ONLY used when someone loads "for the first time" the site with the basic domain: mydomain.com

Otherwise, and that is what is expected, urls of the type
`mydomain.com/en/whatever` and `mydomain.com/us/whatever`
are supposed to display the page they correspond to in the language concerned, associated or not.

There is no way for joomla (as of now) to know if you already have navigated to one of these urls or a page with the language concerned (as a cookie may have been set or not) when clicking on such urls.

Imagine the following situation:
Joomla checks the browser settings EACH time a url is clicked. It would mean that you would never be able to access associated /en_gb/ urls when your browser is set to en-US. and that would even break the language switcher.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

Return to “Language - Joomla! 3.x”