Language change question in multilingual site

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: infograf768, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
AlohaYoga
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Language change question in multilingual site

Post by AlohaYoga » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:47 am

Hi,

I'm looking at a site that has old language files (2016). The site is multilingual with 2 languages.

I installed 2 new language files because I want to replace the old one that aren't being updated anymore.

Before I can remove the old language files... I need to tell joomla to use the new installed languages.

My solution is the long way:
The long way would be to add 2 new content languages, replace all the language associated with each menu item and each article for both languages and afterward redo the association for each article/menu item, etc. Then remove the old languages, etc.

But... I was wondering if any guru here knew about a short cut for mass language changing. :) **specially the article association which vanish if I change the language of the article.

Thanks for the help!

Joomla is updated to 3.9.8
Last edited by imanickam on Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved the topic from the forum General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x to the forum Languages - Joomla! 3.x

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Language change question in multilingual site

Post by imanickam » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:15 am

In order to understand what you want to do, kindly explain in details about the languages currently being used, what new languages you want to add, and so forth.

AlohaYoga wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:47 am
The site is multilingual with 2 languages.
.What two (existing) languages are being used for the site?

AlohaYoga wrote:
I installed 2 new language files because I want to replace the old one that aren't being updated anymore.
Are you adding new languages or updating an existing language? When you say "old one that aren't being updated anymore", do you mean the articles or the languages?

AlohaYoga wrote:
Before I can remove the old language files... I need to tell joomla to use the new installed languages.
What languages you want to remove? What new languages you are planning to use?

AlohaYoga wrote:
The long way would be to add 2 new content languages, replace all the language associated with each menu item and each article for both languages and afterward redo the association for each article/menu item, etc. Then remove the old languages, etc.
To understand better to answer your question, let me ask a hypothetical question. Assuming that the site currently uses two languages, say English and Spanish, do you want to change English to German and Spanish to French? If the answer is Yes, then what would happen to the content; how do you plan to change it.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Translations Coordination Team | Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team

Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

AlohaYoga
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by AlohaYoga » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:11 am

Yes you are right. I forgot to mention this.

I'm changing english to english and French to French.

To be more precise, en-CA will become en-GB and fr-CA will become fr-FR.

Afterwards, I will give en-GB the appearance of en-CA (in the source) and fr-FR the appearance of fr-CA (in the source).

So the content (of the article) is not affected, neither is the source. Only the language in joomla will change.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:58 am

The shortcut is to export the database and mass change language (except for the Content Languages table!!! (#__languages) in the file, then delete the tables in the database and import the modified exported file. Using phpMyadmin.

After intalling fr-FR, make sure nothing is tagged to en-GB an fr-FR.
Delete the fr-CA and en-CA language packages, as well as their Content Languages.
Export the table.

Then mass change en-CA to en-GB
Mass change fr-CA to fr-FR

Mass change en-ca to en-gb
Mass change fr-ca to fr-fr

Import

Make sure the fr-FR Content Language and en-GB Content Languages have the correct sef and image.

The associations being based on the items id, they will remain unchanged and work as before.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf · http://www.info-graf.fr
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

AlohaYoga
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by AlohaYoga » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:05 pm

Alright thanks. I was hoping for a 100% joomla solution but it is still much better then the one-by-one solution.

Thanks!

john-doe
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by john-doe » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:35 pm

I was thinking that in Languages /content languages / (language installed) you change the Language tag there.
And check if the template displays the language code.
www.aldemar-hernandez.com - Custom templates and design services.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:17 am

john-doe wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:35 pm
I was thinking that in Languages /content languages / (language installed) you change the Language tag there.
And check if the template displays the language code.
That is not the solution at all.
The Content Language Lang tag should ALWAYS correspond to the real language tag of the installed languages.

What can be done is changing the flags there.

As already understood by AlohaYoga, once the languages en-GB and fr-FR packages have been created an used, then one can use the System Languagecode plugin to display another lang tag in the browser. In that case en-CA and fr-CA although the real languages used are en-GB and fr-FR.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf · http://www.info-graf.fr
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

Return to “Language - Joomla! 3.x”