Creation of Language Overrides for VirtueMart Custom Field Values

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
aliteejay
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Creation of Language Overrides for VirtueMart Custom Field Values

Post by aliteejay » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:54 am

Using VM3.6.10 with Joomla 3.9.16, for a multi-lingual shop, am trying to create language override for product color option, was able to create the size option successfully, with translated corresponding values, when i tried doing the same with color option, the values is not translated, i have created in the custom field color string for the appropriate languages, with corresponding values, however it seems not to be functioning, the language constant is translated, but the corresponding values is not working, what am i doing wrong here?
example color option is translated to kleur optie(dutch), but the value blue is not translated to blauw, just showing the default value, i have created in the custom field, color option string, with values, apple green;blue;white, this is drop down button in the frontend, but on the dutch site, this drop down value is not translated to appelgroen;blauw;wit, rather its showing online the default language values
Last edited by imanickam on Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Changed the Subject to reflect the problem and moved the topic from the forum Language - Joomla! 3.x to the forum Extensions for Joomla! 3.x

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Creation of language override

Post by imanickam » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:29 am

Since this is related to an extension, it would be beneficial if you could post the question in the respective extension's forum.

As for as the custom field for color, if it is created using core Joomla's feature, then be known that the custom field (and the field group) could be assigned to a language. Having said that, I believe that you may have to create a custom field for each language used.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Translations Coordination Team | Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team

Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

aliteejay
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by aliteejay » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:02 pm

Have done that, created color strings with values, in every language, the title color option, is been translated, the issue is the values, it's only in English, com_key_color, shows color option drop, down button in the front end, on the dutch page, shows kleur optie, but the colors are still in English, having created custom field string kleur optie with dutch values, how do i link this values to the right page, have override for all languages, this is only possible via joomla core, can you please educate me?

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:00 pm

If this is VirtueMart related then you would be better served asking this question in the VM forum.

What is the language string that was overridden (ie Color Option)? If this is a VM language string or a core Joomla's language string?
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Translations Coordination Team | Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team

aliteejay
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by aliteejay » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:52 am

imanickam wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:00 pm
If this is VirtueMart related then you would be better served asking this question in the VM forum.

What is the language string that was overridden (ie Color Option)? If this is a VM language string or a core Joomla's language string?
Interesting question, the custom field strings are all created in VM, with values, which includes related article string, this strings have to be overridden with Joomla core language manager, maybe there is another option of doing this, am open for education, have already posted this VM forum, base on response, it's a Joomla feature, more over the language constant was translated from color option to kleur optie, issue is the individual value choice is not, appreciate the input

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:42 am

The custom field you are referring to is the custom field feature in VirtueMart. This feature has no bearing on the core custom field feature.

aliteejay
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by aliteejay » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:22 am

Okay, appreciate the input

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:02 pm

If the extension is correctly written then you should be able to use Extensions >>> Language ... to create the override.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results": Albert Einstein

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:26 pm

I downloaded VirtueMart and created a Multilingual Shop with custom field (of VirtueMart) for color options attached to a product.

What I observed is that one could create language overrides for the values/strings in the option Default Value when the (semicolon separated) strings are one word (e.g., Blue) and it becomes tricky when the strings have more than one word (e.g., Apple Green).

In your case, try the following:
  • In the Custom Field (of VirtueMart) for colors, for the default values enter the value Apple_Green;Blue;White and save it.
  • In the screen "Languages: Overrides", for the Dutch/Site (i.e., Language/Client combination), create the following language overrides.
    • APPLE_GREEN="Appel Groen"
    • BLUE="Blauw"
    • WHITE="Wit"
  • In the screen "Languages: Overrides", for the English/Site (i.e., Language/Client combination), create the following language overrides.
    • APPLE_GREEN="Apple Green"
With the above steps you would notice that in the drop-down the color names would be shown in the appropriate languages.

Note:
If you could specify the color name Apple Green as AppleGreen then there is no need for using the language string Apple_Green and no need for creating the language override for that color name in English/Site. Also, in the Dutch/Site the language override sting would be APPLEGREEN="AppelGroen"

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”