Building a multilingual website, but stuck at the Menu step

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: infograf768, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
crellaous
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Building a multilingual website, but stuck at the Menu step

Post by crellaous » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:51 pm

So I'm a newbie in creating website and joomla.
I'm trying to build a multilingual website with Chinese and English. I've already downloaded the language plugins and tried to follow the steps in https://www.joomshaper.com/blog/step-by ... oomla-site.
The article suggests that I create 2 Menus, e.g. the English Menu and Chinese menu. Then I attach Articles created under Menu Items to display it.

Starting from this point, I'm really confused and don't know what to do...

So according to the concept I understand, to build up a website, after I created some categories (e.g. About us, Products, FAQ) and Sub-categories (e.g. buy online, What's the benefit of our products), which will become icons on the website that people can click in; then I create the individual contents of each single page under Articles. Afterwards, in order to link the individual articles and categories together, under Menu, I will create Menus with Titles matching the Categories created, and Menu Items with Titles matching the individual Articles created. Do I get this concept right?

So here's my problem:
As the Menu is used to create the languages, and a Menu cannot be under another Menu (or I don't know how), only Menu Items can be under a Menu. So where should I insert the categories (e.g. About us, Products, FAQ) and Sub-categories (e.g. buy online, What's the benefit of our products)?

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Building a multilingual website, but stuck at the Menu step

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:48 pm

Categories are used to organise articles. Have you created a top level category for each language (en and cn)?
The English articles will be in categories under 'en' and the Chinese under 'cn' .

About us, Products, FAQ are usually Menu Items, not categories.

Menu Items can be of type Single Article, Category Blog or Category List Layout.
Products usually points to an e-commerce component.

1) Category for the article is set inside the article.
2) Menu Items can be children of other menu items. Set parent inside the menu item.

Return to “Language - Joomla! 3.x”