How to set up a *partially* multi-lingual website

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
Justin Kerr
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

How to set up a *partially* multi-lingual website

Post by Justin Kerr » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:03 pm

I'm looking at multi-language support for an existing Joomla website. I'd like to start selectively adding content in a couple new languages, however, this will only be valid for some parts of the website.

I'd like to correctly implement this so "switching" works on content that's set up to support translation, and all other content just defaults to the most prevalent language (English).

Is this accomplished using the "All" value for the Language field? So in other words, if a specific translation isn't supported for a piece of content, would the user would still see the "All" version?

Our use case is adding some new, Chinese-language content to an existing English-language website. I want our Chinese-language users to be able to switch into Chinese language mode to see their Chinese-written articles et al, but when our Chinese-language users click to other parts of the website that don't yet support Chinese, they still can see the English/"All" version.

Is this the right approach? I welcome any feedback and best practices here. Thanks much for any help and feedback!

travispe
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: How to set up a *partially* multi-lingual website

Post by travispe » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:10 pm

Hi Justin, did you figure out a solution to this question? Curious what you came up with, we're in a similar situation.

Return to “Language - Joomla! 3.x”