Cannot Have Two Menu Items of the same alias with Different Languages in different Menus

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
Arshia Aghaei
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Cannot Have Two Menu Items of the same alias with Different Languages in different Menus

Post by Arshia Aghaei » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:56 pm

Hi ,

I have a multilingual site and created two menus and copied one of the menus' menu items to another and started changing the names and places to point. But after selecting the alias home for a menu item it says that a menu exists with the same alias. No way to fix this ?

Thanks.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Cannot Have Two Menu Items of the same alias with Different Languages in different Menus

Post by imanickam » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:18 am

Whether the menu items are assigned to the appropriate languages?
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

Arshia Aghaei
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Cannot Have Two Menu Items of the same alias with Different Languages in different Menus

Post by Arshia Aghaei » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:30 pm

imanickam wrote:Whether the menu items are assigned to the appropriate languages?
The home menu item and it's equivalent in the other language titled home in another language. (They are both in different menus) I want them both to have the alias of 'home' but it will return an error. Why ?
Also tried to delete (not just trash) the menu items and creating them again. But the same result.
Last edited by Arshia Aghaei on Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:54 pm

Try the following:

- Empty the trash
- Rebuild the menu(s)
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

Arshia Aghaei
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Arshia Aghaei » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:37 pm

imanickam wrote:Try the following:

- Empty the trash
- Rebuild the menu(s)
Only the first menu item (the one who is set as the 'Default') has the issue.
And I'm sure that the trash was empty during the process.

No way to fix this ?

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:36 am

I can't reproduce the issue here on my test site.
Screen Shot 2016-10-01 at 08.48.39.png
Both Home menu items (for English and for Italian) get the "Home" alias OK.

Evidently the default Home menu item tagged to language ALL should NOT have the same alias (That menu item should exist but is never used).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

Radek100
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Radek100 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:05 pm

I have the same problem. Even it's not homepage. I started on Joomla 2.5, now I am using 3.7.5. I have 2 menus (for 2 languages 2 menus) and if I want to named both menu alias as "blog" it writes me:
Save failed with the following error: The alias blog is already being used by Blog menu item in the Menu English menu (remember it may be a trashed item).
Trash is empty, but the alias blog is already used for the other language. When I created pages in Joomla 2.5 I had no problem to saved it. It is not possible now. Something had to change.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:05 am

I still can't reproduce this. It works fine here.
I suggest you delete these menu items and re-create them, making sure they are tagged to different content language.

Radek100
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Radek100 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:00 pm

I tried to even create new menu item under language menu 1 (called test) added alias test and saved it. For langugage menu 1 it works ok. But as soon as I try to create new menu item in language menu 2 with same alias test and try to save it it gives me "save failed" as mentioned above.

In both cases I set correct language to each menu of course. I tried to press button called "rebiult menu" but it is still the same.

I have in each language old menu item, which have the same alias but I created those menus in version 2.5. If I try to create same way new menu items with same aliases it is not possible with 3.7.5 I don't know what should be set or what happend that it is blocking. I have some backup with joomla 3.6.3 and it is same problem.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:09 am

How did you upgrade from 2.5 on?
Have you fixed database? (Extensions=>Manage=>Database)?

Radek100
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Radek100 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:28 pm

I upgrade from 2.5 in administration normal way with one click.

I tried to fix database earlier, it fixed some tables, but this hadn't helped me in this problem at all.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:51 am

I can't help without access as super user to your backend and possibly to your db via phpmyadmin.
If you like I can have a look. Just send me a messsage with credentials.

Radek100
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Radek100 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:54 am

I hired some joomla expert yesterday. So I will share the problem if he be successful ;) if not I would appreciate your help. thank you!!

DaBouncer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by DaBouncer » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:46 am

Hi, I'm in the same situation and curious if you got this issue sorted out?
Radek100 wrote:I hired some joomla expert yesterday. So I will share the problem if he be successful ;) if not I would appreciate your help. thank you!!

Radek100
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Radek100 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:59 am

DaBouncer wrote:Hi, I'm in the same situation and curious if you got this issue sorted out?
Radek100 wrote:I hired some joomla expert yesterday. So I will share the problem if he be successful ;) if not I would appreciate your help. thank you!!
I just changed it in database directly. There must be some bug.

menomoje
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by menomoje » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:03 pm

hi.. i had the same issue.. and just found the solution..
its not a bug. you just need first enable the language filtering plugin.. than it works for me

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:42 am

"its not a bug. you just need first enable the language filtering plugin.. than it works for me"

Yes, when the site is set as multilingual.

Return to “Language - Joomla! 3.x”