mobile menu item brings up wrong page

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
pgradio
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

mobile menu item brings up wrong page

Post by pgradio » Mon May 29, 2017 7:12 pm

First let me apologize as this post maybe rather long.

I'm using J! 3.4.8 currently & my site is still under construction & password protected.

I have 35 languages & I have duplicated my template 35 times adding the language name to the end of my template name. ex. template_name - Danish

I have set up 36 menus. 35 language menus + a mobile menu. The mobile menu language is set to all.
My default template is: template_name - United Kingdom & the default language is: English (en-GB).

My problem is that I'm seeing the same page on both my laptop & my mobile device even though I have 2 different pages.

Regardless of what your chosen language is I have the menu link set to article id: 603, however when I pull my site up on my mobile device and click on the same menu item it pulls up article id: 603 instead of 604.

The url on both my laptop side & mobile side is the same: sitename.com/index.php/en/category/subcat/alias/

I have checked the article ids on both links in my database using phpmyadmin & everything is correct. So I know I must be doing something wrong, I just don't know what.

Thanks for any help provided,
Danielle

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: mobile menu item brings up wrong page

Post by infograf768 » Tue May 30, 2017 9:25 am

Are you using Joomla native multilingual feature?
If yes, display in back-end the multingual status module to see where is the error.

Do not forget that you have to set a home page for every content language in their respective menus + one set to ALL in a specific menu which will not be used (no module or module unpublished)

Therefore you can't have any other Home page set to ALL or any language.

Note: J 3.4.8 is totally obsolete and vulnerable.
Update to 3.7.2 asap
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

pgradio
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pgradio » Tue May 30, 2017 5:10 pm

Yes I know I'm using and outdated version of J!, that can't be helped atm. I will be updating as soon as I get an updated version a certain extension.

Yes I'm using the native multilingual feature.
I had to search how to publish the status mod, and this is what it says when I click on Multilingual Status in the lower left hand corner of my screen.

This site is set as a multilingual site. One or more of the Default Home pages for the published Content languages are missing although the Language Filter plugin is enabled OR/AND one or more Language Switcher modules are published.

I did a lot of research on the right way to create a multilingual site before I attempted to tackle this project.
I have a home page menu item in my main menu (which I don't use) that is published, set to default, & language set to all.

All language menus have a home page item which is also published, set to default, & set to that menus respective language.
Even though I have 35 language menus only the UK & Welsh menus are published. I will be fine tuning & publishing the other 33 menus when I have the time.

So I had an idea while I was typing up my response. I went into my phpmyadmin, went into the UK menu and changed the the url from: index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=603 to index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=604

I visited the page from my laptop & yep it shows the page I want to show on mobile devices. Then I visited the same page & now it's showing the correct page.

From what I can tell, even though the links in the database are correct & both pointing to different pages, the mobile page is showing the desktop version of the page.

What am I doing wrong? How do I separate the mobile pages from the desktop pages so the right versions show on the right devices?

Thanks for your help,
Danielle

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Wed May 31, 2017 7:03 am

35 languages... I think you are fishing for problems.

But, not taking this into account, be aware that even for a monolanguage site, serving different contents depending on the User Agent WITH THE SAME URL is already extremely complex, except for layouts and images where CSS are relatively easy to set up.

See https://developers.google.com/webmaster ... ic-serving

Most people create 2 sites, each one dedicated to specific user agents and redirect to the one that fits.

In any case, doing this for multiple languages is a Sisyphean task...
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

pgradio
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pgradio » Wed May 31, 2017 7:55 am

Thanks for responding.
Please don't think ill of me when I say from your last response that it sounds like you are not sure on how to help me fix this problem.

However though I did visit the site you provided & while I did not fully understand how to implement what they were suggesting into a Joomla site I did notice a common factor which was multiple urls for a site that was meant to be viewed differently depending on the device you were accessing it from.

So I decided that I would modify my mobile url & see what happens.
My desktop url is: sitename.com/index.php/en/category/subcat/alias/
I went into my mobile menu and made a very small change:
I changed my mobile url to: sitename.com/index.php/en/mcategory/subcat/alias/
As a result of just adding the letter m to my category name in my mobile menu I've fixed my problem. So now that I know I have to have a different url between the 2 different versions, not just a different article id it makes more sense.

I just hope in the future a solution can be found, but I have a feeling there are already people working on this.

So thank you for posting the link.
And yes setting this site up has been quite a pain in my bum lol, but once it's setup I don't anticipate to many problems. Since the majority of the other language content will mostly be in translating the menu.

Thanks for your help & time,
Danielle

Return to “Language - Joomla! 3.x”