Falang or Joomla multilingual associations?

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: infograf768, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
danialu
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Falang or Joomla multilingual associations?

Postby danialu » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:51 am

Hi, we just finished our website using Falang and we discovered that Joomla can since 3.7 handle several languages with multilingual "associations": https://www.joomlashack.com/blog/tutori ... s-manager/

What is better? Falang or native Joomla multilingual "associations" ?

Thanks.

lefteriskavadas
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Falang or Joomla multilingual associations?

Postby lefteriskavadas » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:32 pm

Hi,

This is a matter of personal taste, but i would go with the native implementation.

biirc
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Postby biirc » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:20 am

Hi,

I'm Stéphane From Falang. I will add some info.

1) Use native system when it's a new site with a lot of differents items in all language (menu / articles)
2) Use Falang in all other case :
- You have already a site and want to translate it in another language
- Your site as 3 or more languages
- Some component use Falang to make the multilanguage system.
- Support of course.

You can use the Free version, this version is the same as the pro version only quicktranslation system and extra plugin/module are not included.(and bottom link in front-end)

darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Postby darb » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:52 am

Just give it a try and you will find what solutions you like.

What I would like to see if you could only change the title for certain Joomla modules that do the same thing but where you would like to have another heading only.

Now you have instead to create one new module for each language and load those modules. This should be working flawlessly so you just change the title in that module for each language with some extra fields for each language
Success in the long run Its not about the code its about the people and community that's make it!
Its not what you say its what you do that matters!

Darb - aka ssnobben

bdonner
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby bdonner » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:14 am

As a old user of Falang (and before that its predecessor JoomFish) and also of Joomla's own new helpful component for multilingual sites, I would still strongly recommend Falang:

- with the quick translation system in the paid version, no matter what you are creating, it is so easy to create a translation by just pressing the language flag for the language you want to translate into / edit at the top of the page, and voilà! All associations are made automatically
- Falang has content element files for many components. Installing such content element files makes translating component internal language variables possible. This is not possible with the Joomla native multilanguage associations helper component / at all through Joomla natively from what I can understand
- Stéphane from Falang is very helpful, which is a big plus

As Stéphane himselg says above, it might not be wise to try handling any more extensive site with many languages through the Joomla native system - it just gets too messy with too many things to consider. With Falang, no additional modules for each language are for instance needed, you just make a very easily manageable translation in Falang which shows all the language versions, missing language versions, and not updated language versions in a very easy-to-understand way, instead of an exploding number of modules / articles /... in different languages.

Ben

geof
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Postby geof » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:24 pm

I believe Falang is a quick solution for small sites.
Joomla Support | Domain Name | Web Hosting in Greece | Website Eshop
.: easylogic https://easylogic.gr

Return to “Language - Joomla! 3.x”