Language asociations, it is possible to integrate with custom component?

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: infograf768, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
juanm_la22
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Language asociations, it is possible to integrate with custom component?

Post by juanm_la22 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:37 pm

Hi all!

My cuestion is simple: Is it possible to integrate language associations with custom component?

What i am looking for is a way to easly translate categories and items created on my custom component.

Any doc will be well received.

Regards!
JM

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Language asociations, it is possible to integrate with custom component?

Post by imanickam » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:53 am

juanm_la22 wrote:My cuestion is simple: Is it possible to integrate language associations with custom component?
Yes, it is possible. You could review the code in the components such as Contacts. In fact, a better thing would be to review the code the of the component Web Links as it has been taken out of core Joomla! You can get the code of the component Web Links from https://github.com/joomla-extensions/weblinks.
juanm_la22 wrote:What i am looking for is a way to easly translate categories and items created on my custom component.
I could not comprehend the requirement correctly. Item association and Item translation are two different things. Item association is a core function and translation is an added feature. You could review extensions such as KMFasTrans Lite (https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... rans-lite/) to know how automatic translation has to be done.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Global Moderators Team | Translations Coordination Team | Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team

Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

juanm_la22
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by juanm_la22 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:42 pm

Hi Imanickam!, Thanks for your reply.

What i want to achieve is the easy translation of my custom categories, regions, and types. I have a component for announcement board. The user can create categories, types and regions. What i want is a way to provide a translation for those elements for the installed languages. For example: in one of my multilingual sites, i have installed english, español and portuguese. I want to find an easy way to avoid the creation of three categories, one for each language using translations. I dont want to integrate with falang because it is non-free (or the free version is such limited). So i thought in item associations, but as you said, it is not the proper way. Is KMFasTrans the component to achieve this?

Regards,
JM

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:39 pm

As Imanickam wrote, it is not so complex to make a component core multilingual aware.
It needs though some specific code to make it usable by com_associations.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf · http://www.info-graf.fr
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

Return to “Language - Joomla! 3.x”