Why is Dzongkha a protected language pack, and where did it come from?

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
gstone
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Why is Dzongkha a protected language pack, and where did it come from?

Post by gstone » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:48 pm

I'm cleaning up outdated and unused extensions in my 3.8.6 install, and I ran across two languages that I did not install: Dzongkha, and Hebrew. I have absolutely no need for these languages and have no idea how they got there, let alone being protected and un-uninstallable. Below is the error message. Advice?

Warning
This language can't be uninstalled. It is protected in the database (usually en-GB).
Package Uninstall: This extension may have already been uninstalled or might not have been uninstall properly: site_dz-BT.zip
Package Uninstall: This extension may have already been uninstalled or might not have been uninstall properly: admin_dz-BT.zip
Package Uninstall: Errors were detected, manifest file not removed!

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Why is Dzongkha a protected language pack, and where did it come from?

Post by imanickam » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:10 am

The latest version of the language pack for the language Dzongkha is for Joomla! 3.6.2 and it was released on September 28, 2016; refer http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/jtrans ... ge_id=7003.

Similarly, the latest version of the language pack for the language Hebrew is for Joomla! 3.1.1 and it was released on May 12, 1013; refer http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/jtrans ... ge_id=6420.

As these languages are not native to Joomla, they can only be installed as extensions. So, they could be uninstalled easily just like uninstalling an extension.

Where the stable version of Joomla! has been downloaded from, when the site was created?
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

gstone
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by gstone » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:08 pm

I've always downloaded Joomla from joomla.org, and I've never installed these languages. As you can see from the error messages above, I am unable to remove these.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:37 am

I suggest you install (again) Dzongkha via Manage => Install languages.
Then go to Manage => Manage, filter by Package and uninstall Dzongkha.

If you still have an error, it means some cleaning is necessary. Just post here and we will try to help (means we shall have access to your CPanel and eventually db.

As to the fact that you had these 2 languages in your site, they may not have come from nowhere (a hacker would have no interest in doing that). This means someone with admin permissions has installed them OR that these specific language folders have been placed without a regular install in your site by whoever...
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

gstone
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by gstone » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:34 pm

Thank you. I did as you instructed and the situation hasn't changed with Dzongkha. Reinstall was successful, but it throws the error above when I try to uninstall.

Hebrew reinstallation failed, throwing this warning: Extension Install: Another package is already using the named folder: /home/wormwood/public_html/administrator/manifests/packages/he-IL. Are you trying to install the same extension again?

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:38 am

I may be able to help you if I have access to your CPanel and db (via phpMyadmin). Just send me the credentials to access them by mail or forum message with the url of your site.

Concerning Hebrew, the package (which is quite old) needs an update to be reinstalled. Will modify it.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

Return to “Language - Joomla! 3.x”