Can you share content between multiple languages? Topic is solved

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: infograf768, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
John Oxlade
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Can you share content between multiple languages?

Post by John Oxlade » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:14 am

I have just changed my site from English-only to multi-language (actually dual, I only added German).
I have a fully working English site and that is still fine as-is.
I have a German page saying that over time I will add more German content (as my German improves), but there's a lot of things that can just be used in both languages like the event calendar.
When I am looking at the German homepage, there's a bunch of modules in the footer that Joomla is automatically inserting the /de/ suffix in the URL, except the link doesn't work (these are mostly just "custom" modules with a graphic and a link to a menu-item or page - English content). I tried making one module "English" and it disappears out of the footer when viewing the German side of the site, and it shows when viewing the English - which is what I would expect.
BUT, what I would like is for any modules that are set to be "All" languages, to work regardless. It seems pointless duplicating the modules when they'd be exactly the same.
Is this even possible?
Is it possible to make a link explicitly to the English pages and not have Joomla try insert /de/ in the URL??
Or am I just looking at this totally wrong??
http://johnoxlade.com

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Can you share content between multiple languages?

Post by imanickam » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:21 am

If you want the modules that are assigned to "All" languages to appear in all the pages then make sure that it is not assigned to specific menu items. Make it to appear in all pages. If you want the modules to be shown in specific menu items of English and German then assign the menu items to those menu items only.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Global Moderators Team | Translations Coordination Team | Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team

Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Can you share content between multiple languages?

Post by infograf768 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:26 am

Is it possible to make a link explicitly to the English pages and not have Joomla try insert /de/ in the URL??
Yes it is possible. Where do you want to add this link?

If in an article or custom module or category (when using TinyMCE) and in fact wherever the editor is displayed, use the Menu or Article or Contact buttons in the editor tabs.
Choose an item in any language.
Toggle Editor and you will see how these links are created. Example (first link is to a menu, second link is to a contact, third link is to an article:

Code: Select all

<p><a href="index.php?Itemid=104&amp;lang=fr-FR">Catégories(fr)</a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href="index.php?option=com_contact&amp;view=contact&amp;id=2&amp;catid=22&amp;lang=fr-FR" hreflang="fr">Contact super user fr-FR</a><br />
<br /><a href="index.php?option=com_content&amp;view=article&amp;id=42&amp;catid=2&amp;lang=es-ES" hreflang="es">newarticle spanish</a></p>

Also, I remarked that you are not using Associations, at least for some menu items (did not test all).
You may use them to switch from a page in English to a page in German and reciprocally.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf · http://www.info-graf.fr
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

Return to “Language - Joomla! 3.x”