Partial multilingual site: only some articles

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: infograf768, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
tychapogoy
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Partial multilingual site: only some articles

Post by tychapogoy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:02 am

Dear users,

I wished to make use of the multilingual feature of Joomla the following way:
  • I do not want to maintain a complete multilingual site (every module, article item in multiple languages)
  • I rather use gtranslate for the whole site
  • Only selected items (mostly articles) should have multilingual versions (to get the message clear)
I hoped to get a single article in shape, so that a user can switch between the language versions of this article, but I do not see the links to the language versions displayed below the article. Should I strictly follow the notes in the multilanguage status? Can't I have a simplified version and setup only some individual multilingual articles, please? (Every other item on the site is in language "all".)

Here is a screenshot of Additionally, there is no way to find the associated articles by searching. Before creating the associations, the articles could be found by a search.

CyrusXxX
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Partial multilingual site: only some articles

Post by CyrusXxX » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:55 pm

Hello tychapogoy, if you do not want to set up proper multilingual site have you considered some of the automatic translation plugins:

https://extensions.joomla.org/category/ ... nslations/
Knowledge is power and power is knowledge.

https://regenesiscomputers.com

tychapogoy
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tychapogoy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:56 pm

Yes, please. I'm already using gtranslate. I thought to allow a proper reviewed translation for some specific articles. So, am I on a wrong track with my idea?

CyrusXxX
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by CyrusXxX » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:31 pm

tychapogoy wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:56 pm
Yes, please. I'm already using gtranslate. I thought to allow a proper reviewed translation for some specific articles. So, am I on a wrong track with my idea?
Hello tychapogoy, yup you are unfortunately. To be honest when auto translation is in question there is no plugin which will offer you something like review before translation. At least not to my knowledge and it would be somewhat illogical to implement.
Knowledge is power and power is knowledge.

https://regenesiscomputers.com

tychapogoy
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tychapogoy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:23 pm

That I fully understand: auto-translation is done without a review. But I still had some of the articles translated and reviewed by a native speaker. Now, I'd like to bind (associate) them and use the multilingual features of Joomla.

All of my modules and other articles are set to language=all. One can see my request as a very beginning of a multilingual site. At the end only a few articles and modules will be single-language. But I am still at the beginning: I want to get that single article right to showcase the multi-language features.

Return to “Language - Joomla! 3.x”