Dual Language issues MENUs

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
stuffdone
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Dual Language issues MENUs

Post by stuffdone » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:36 pm

I am setting up a site for English and Spanish.

This is a new site but was originally set up only in English. Followed documentation to create alternative menus, moved all English to category "English" and duplicated all articles and menu items to the Spanish category and set languages.

But I have a stray! mainmenu (original English) I cannot change language of home to EN it is set to ALL and that is preventing me competing project because I cannot associate it with EN language and I cannot "un star" as default.

Any ideas how to get past this blockade ?

Thought about but did not try yet hoping for alternative: creating a new menu for English and assigning that to the mainmenu position and unpublishing the "default" main menu thinking that would not even require a "default"?

Thanks in advance for help. :)
--- http://www.Stuffdone.com ---
Wow. Doing web sites for over 28+ years now. Still learn new tricks...not bad for an old dog

stuffdone
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Dual Language issues MENUs

Post by stuffdone » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:44 pm

Additional issue in this same process: I duplicated current pages but each in menu now has (2) after the names. I cannot seem to find where that was added to remove them. Since they are actual brand names the spelling does not change only the text in the articles are Spanish?
Wow. Doing web sites for over 28+ years now. Still learn new tricks...not bad for an old dog

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:57 pm

Mod. Note: Relocated the topic to the language forum.

You must have an extra menu (the original) set to all. It may contain one menu item only (the old default one). This menu is not used and you do not create a module to display it.

stuffdone
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by stuffdone » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:00 pm

Thanks ! That worked.

Now just need to figure out how to get rid of the (2) after everything I copied to Spanish section and menus.

Return to “Language - Joomla! 3.x”