Custom language pack and php 7.1 Topic is solved

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: infograf768, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Hammur
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Custom language pack and php 7.1

Post by Hammur » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:22 am

Hi,
I have some sites running with a custom faroese (fo-FO) language pack as site defualt that I've created some time ago since it is not available from Joomla code yet.

However with the latest releases of Joomla it has been recommended to upgrade to php 7.1 and currently I've been running php 5.6.

However if I upgrade to php 7.1, then my custom fo-FO language pack for the Joomla language strings on frontend (or site) do not work anymore and not detected by Joomla.
If I e.g. go into extensions>Language(s)>Overrides and try to search for some fo-FO (site) strings, none are found.
More specific, it seems to only be the Joomla language files, i.e. located in .../language/fo-FO that is not detected.

My administrator language files (.../administrator/language/fo-FO) along with any extension language files, e.g. located in the folder .../component/extension-name/language... work fine.

Any help on troubleshooting this appreciated.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Custom language pack and php 7.1

Post by imanickam » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:56 pm

If you do not mind sharing the custom language pack for the language Faroese, we could review the language pack and see what is happening. This would help in offering suggestions.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Translations Coordination Team | Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team

Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

Hammur
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Hammur » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:33 pm

Sure, the language pack can be downloaded and tried using link below.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IOtvc ... C9Gt2I9mUW

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:07 pm

Reviewed the language pack. The language files are not getting loaded as the comment syntax is not correct.

For example, I reviewed the site file mod_login.ini and found the following for comment (lines 1 to 4).

Code: Select all

# Joomla! Project
# Copyright (C) 2005 - 2014 Open Source Matters. All rights reserved.
# License GNU General Public License version 2 or later; see LICENSE.txt, see LICENSE.php
# Note : All ini files need to be saved as UTF-8 - No BOM
So, the above lines were shown as error and the file was not loading. I changed the comment syntax as shown below and the file was loading.

Code: Select all

; Joomla! Project
; Copyright (C) 2005 - 2014 Open Source Matters. All rights reserved.
; License GNU General Public License version 2 or later; see LICENSE.txt, see LICENSE.php
; Note : All ini files need to be saved as UTF-8 - No BOM
Following is the result after the change - review the Login module.

So, I would suggest changing the comments in all the language files.

In the Global Configuration, in the tab, if you Enable the Language Debug, you would see which language files have errors, which language files are loaded, and which language strings are not translated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Translations Coordination Team | Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team

Hammur
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Hammur » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:29 am

So there has been a change in how comments works, wasn't aware of that.
Changing # to ; did indeed work, thanks!

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:48 am

@Hammur

For the benefit of the Faroese speaking community, please let us know whether you are interested in making the language Faroese (fo-FO) as one of the Accredited official language of Joomla? If the answer is Yes, we could upload your translations to crowdin.com. You could work on bringing the language pack uptodate.

Thanks.

Return to “Language - Joomla! 3.x”