Default language resets to English UK

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
seanos
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Default language resets to English UK

Post by seanos » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:26 am

I posted previously about this issue, but I’m not sure I got across what was going on.

After watching this carefully for a while I decided it might be automatic update scripts that were causing it, so I’ve made sure to only upgrade from within Joomla. The problem seemed to go away, so I stopped checking after every update, but now I’ve just noticed that the site’s default language is back to English UK (Backend -> Languages: Installed). We don’t use that language on our site at all (it’s not a Content Language) and that default means that the language strings for our membership component can’t be found — it assumes our default language is a non-site language so it doesn’t have a translation and many of the labels end up blank.

Why does this setting keep changing and how can we stop it?

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Default language resets to English UK

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:17 am

Set a Language as default in Language Manager

Specify a Language when logging in to administrator.

Set default Language in the user's profile

seanos
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by seanos » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:08 am

The language has been set as a default. It just reverts to UK English after an upgrade.

AndrewSmith
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by AndrewSmith » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:13 am

For what it's worth, I've just come into this section of the forum to try and find out why I can specifically select Australian English when installing Joomla yet the language manager shows that UK English is what was actually installed.

It's so annoying as I fear it will subsequently mess with other localisation needs.

Return to “Language - Joomla! 3.x”