Multi-language site - error with one language

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
cguanaja
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Multi-language site - error with one language

Post by cguanaja » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:44 am

Hi there,

I have a site running in English but need two more languages - so have gone through the VERY helpful resource below and have completed adding 2 additional languages.

https://docs.joomla.org/J3.x:Setup_a_Mu ... r_Template

The problem that I have now is the following: once the two additional languages have been created, with respective menus, content, and template - all this is good as switcher is enabled and showing two additional languages but when I go to any of the other two languages, I am not able to go back to the main or default language - which is indicated by the "home" icon on the main menu that I have.

I can see 3 menus are active and with respective language - the only thing is that main menu (the one with the home icon) does not have the flag of the language in the home page - would I need to recreate the whole menu? It's gonna be a lot of work but waiting to hear some input about this. I have also made sure that templates are assigned to each language and as I said navigation between languages is working but once I go to any of the two new languages I am unable to go back to the main language.

Thanks for your input!

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Multi-language site - error with one language

Post by imanickam » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:46 am

Welcome to the Joomla! Forum!!

From what you have described, it looks like the menu module that shows the menu that has the menu item "Home" that is assigned to "All" languages has been published.

The problem could be template related as some templates always try to display the default Main Menu.

You could open the template style of each template and check whether the appropriate menu has been assigned.

Also make sure that the plugin "System - Language Filter" has been enabled.

Log into the back-end Administrator. Publish the Administrator module "Multilingual Status". Once this is done, a link with the text "Multilingual Status" would appear in the status bar. Click on the link "Multilingual Status". Once clicked, a pop-up window would show that would show how various options relevant to multilingual site are set and would highlight any errors.

Please post a copy of that pop-up window in your reply.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

cguanaja
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by cguanaja » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:34 pm

appreciate the input @imanickam.

- the menu module that has the menu item "Home" that is assigned to "All" languages has been published.
- plugin "System - Language Filter" is enabled.
- have just enabled the Administrator module "Multilingual Status" and attached the output.
- I have the language switcher module installed but disabled until this is tested and working with no issue.
- at the moment only flags for en-US and es-ES are displayed when switcher is enabled - not for en-AU
- I can see menus are assigned language flags except the one that has the "home" icon and used for en-AU.
- I can also see templates are assigned language flags - except the one that is labelled as "Default for all pages" and used for en-AU.

Appreciate your input on this - languages that I need are: es-ES, en-US and en-AU.

Many thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:33 am

As indicated in the Multilingual Status window, do the following and try again.

(a) The menu module that displays the menu that contains the Default Menu Item (identified by a Golden Yellow star) must be UNPUBLISHED.

(b) For the language en-AU, the Default Menu Item (identified by Australian flag) must be defined (in the appropriate/corresponding menu).

(c) At least one language switcher module must be enabled.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

cguanaja
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by cguanaja » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:15 am

Thanks for the input.

All good with the language switcher - will enable it once issues are sorted out.

I have issues with the menu that has the "home icon" instead of a flag (menu 1) - all other two menus have a flag instead.

- tried to unpublished the Default Menu Item inside menu 1 but I get an error saying: Can't unpublish default home. I tried also to change the default to another menu item but get an error saying: A menu should have only one Default home. Thought to change the default to another menu item temporarily so I can unpublish it but stack there.

- does this mean that I need to have 3 new menus as well as the menu that has the "home icon" (menu 1) and this will work?

Many thanks.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:14 am

does this mean that I need to have 3 new menus as well as the menu that has the "home icon" (menu 1) and this will work?
yes. And the menu which home is not tagged to a language should not have a published menu module
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

cguanaja
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by cguanaja » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:17 pm

Can the below please be confirmed?

Menu 1 - the menu that has the "home icon" - should not have any items inside?

- Create menu 2 for EN-UG - with its menu items
- Create menu 3 for EN-AU - with its menu items, and
- Create menu 4 for ES - with its menu items
- See attachment to see what I have so far for menus - I haven't not created menu 3 yet which I believe is going to have all menu items currently inside menu 1.

Please note that I'm unable to unpublished the default menu item inside menu 1 - shown on attachment also - and I also tried to delete the menu that has the home icon altogether but received an error as per the attached.

Appreciate your input on how to get this working for 3 languages - thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:01 am

Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

Return to “Language - Joomla! 3.x”