How to globally set rel nofollow for affiliate links

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
CatfishPKR
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

How to globally set rel nofollow for affiliate links

Post by CatfishPKR » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:37 pm

Ok, so it seems that Google does not like affiliate links, and making the rel: nofollow helps avoiding problems in the SERPS.
On my sites I have cloaked my affiliate links with html redirects. I have created a /go folder and put individual html files in there, then my affiliate links on the site are mysite.com/go/destination.html.
The files contain: meta HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" content="2; url=http://affiliatelink.com/"

If I want to rel: nofollow them all, how do I do it? Is it enough to add the rel: nofollow attribute to the .html files, and what would the correct coding for such a link be?

digitalkube
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: How to globally set rel nofollow for affiliate links

Post by digitalkube » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:13 pm

One of the best solutions, in my opinion, is by using robots.txt for this method.

Add an additional slug to your affiliate links like example.com/go/affiliate

Then simply add this to your robots file:

Code: Select all

Disallow: /go/
In this way, Google bots won't crawl your links so that means no indexing until and unless you index them manually :)

CatfishPKR
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by CatfishPKR » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:58 pm

My sites are all set up like this already. Are you sure that the disallow has the same effect on SEO?
You said that Google won't INDEX them, but my concern is that Google's algo will react to my outgoing (affiliate) links in a way that negatively affects my SERPs. That is what some SEOs say can be avoided by the nofollow attribute.

digitalkube
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by digitalkube » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:37 pm

CatfishPKR wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:58 pm
My sites are all set up like this already. Are you sure that the disallow has the same effect on SEO?
You said that Google won't INDEX them, but my concern is that Google's algo will react to my outgoing (affiliate) links in a way that negatively affects my SERPs. That is what some SEOs say can be avoided by the nofollow attribute.
See, in general terms, a NOFOLLOW tag added to a link makes it invisible for the search engine bots. NOINDEX, on the other hand, doesn't make anything invisible. Instead, it tells the bots to not include the page or link to their index.

A link that is disallowed in the robots file won't also be indexed. Why? Unlike NOINDEX or NOFOLLOW, Disallow simply blocks the access to the URL. As a result, if Google bots can't access it, they can't index it. Simple :)

CatfishPKR
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by CatfishPKR » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:53 pm

Maybe I don't understand the concept of indexing correctly. If an outgoing link on my site is not indexed, Google cannot use it in order to determine my rankings?

justibatata2810
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by justibatata2810 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:01 pm

Hi, You can visit viewtopic.php?t=470383 to insert rel="nofollow" in your website

Bayode1
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Bayode1 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:21 am

A lot of nofollow links isn't advisable as google might consider you as someone who don't want to give back something for any other person. Link juice is important, but saving every bit of link juice is unnecessary, unimportant for google.

marinkaas
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by marinkaas » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:42 pm

CatfishPKR wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:37 pm
Ok, so it seems that Google does not like affiliate links, and making the rel: nofollow helps avoiding problems in the SERPS.
On my sites I have cloaked my affiliate links with html redirects. I have created a /go folder and put individual html files in there, then my affiliate links on the site are mysite.com/go/destination.html.
The files contain: meta HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" content="2; url=http://affiliatelink.com/"
http://stylufka.pl/wlosy-do-ramion-ombr ... ie-trendy/

If I want to rel: nofollow them all, how do I do it? Is it enough to add the rel: nofollow attribute to the .html files, and what would the correct coding for such a link be?
It depends on how many affiliate ads you have on your site. If there are a lot of them and the site is overloaded and it takes more time to load it than before the ads, this is how it affects the serpents. If you have one or two ads that do not cause major delays in loading the page then you should not worry about nofollow :)

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”